• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Quadram Libarty AT 16-bit RAM board

chris_nh

Experienced Member
I am looking for switch settings information for this Quadram "Liberty AT" 16-bit memory board, which I've determined should basically be the same as a "Quadboard AT". It uses the Quadmaster III software, but I cannot find any reference of the switch settings anywhere.

The switches are SW1 and SW2, each 8 position DIP switch. We would assume these to configure memory size and base address plus maybe a switch or two for various device features. Does anyone have more information about these 16-bit Quadram boards?

Here are some pics of this board, fully populated with 256k chips.

DSC02375_05.jpgDSC02376_02.jpgDSC02377_03.jpgDSC02379_02.jpg

Thanks

* sorry title typo: "Liberty" not "Libarty"

Wow, thank you, that works!

For further reading, I found this old PC Mag article, which mentions that the card has a fixed I/O port address of 258h. When comparing with other 16-bit ram card switch settings, I found several cards with configurable I/O port addresses, so this little bit of knowledge is a good filter for determining if another card's switch settings are similar or not.
https://books.google.com/books?id=p...&pg=PA164#v=onepage&q=io address 258h&f=false

The closest one I found was the AST Ramvantage! http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/AST/Cards/AST Ramvantage.txt

The settings for Ramvantage SW1 are almost the same, except SW1/7. With 7 on, it now works properly.

Hello, I am relaunching this subject because I also have this Liberty-AT board. She's only equipped with 128 KB of basic memory to complete an AT with 512 KB of RAM. I would like to add memory to it in order to use it as extended memory, but without the configuration of the jumpers it is probably useless.

Nobody has the documentation for this card? Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm still looking as well!

I found a book called "The Quadram Connection" by Robert J. Traister, which was described as " in-depth analysis of Quadram's wide range of expansion peripherals details their operation with such microcomputer models as the IBM PC, XT, and PC-compatibles; Apple IIe; and TI"

The book contains 261 pages of info about Quadram products, some going quite in depth. Some products are just glossed over ... but unfortunately, not a word about the Liberty-AT! The book was publishied in 1985, but I think that's about the same time the Liberty-AT was released.

Anyway, I've been thinking about sitting down and trying to work out the switch settings in the absence of proper documentation. We know already that there are no settings for I/O port. That would leave possible settings for amount of RAM installed, base address for Extended, amount of RAM for Expanded, and perhaps a switch for parity enable?

Hello, I am relaunching this subject because I also have this Liberty-AT board. She's only equipped with 128 KB of basic memory to complete an AT with 512 KB of RAM. I would like to add memory to it in order to use it as extended memory, but without the configuration of the jumpers it is probably useless.

Nobody has the documentation for this card? Thank you.

Sounds like you have the backfill to 640KB (512+128kb) working.......What are your switches set to ?

Please read with caution. Let me explain, I marked this board as functional but I no longer know which machine it comes from. So yes, since it only has 128 KB of RAM, I deduce that this is it. But I am not absolutely sure.
I have of course not modified the configuration of the switches:
SW1: OFF OFF ON OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF
SW2: OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF ON ON

You will find several photos that I posted on my forum (in French): https://forum.system-cfg.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10625

I put my card as is in an IBM 5170 equipped with 512 KB of RAM. When I count the boot I always see 512 KB. Using the SETUP program I declared 640 KB of RAM and there I get a memory configuration error. The card is not recognized as conventional memory.

Considering that it could be configured in extended memory, I tried to load the Quadmaster III drivers without success.

It should perhaps not be based on the position of my switches to deduce any configuration.

Back