• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Quality Hill

southbird

Experienced Member
Click for photo

Not all of this is really, really "vintage" (although honestly I'm starting to think that line is beginning to move towards the Pentium era machines myself... I'd vote if you have a motherboard with pre-PCI slots, you're vintage ;) )

Anyway, machines in the collection are an IBM 5150 PC (with added 3.5" floppy and old common Seagate 20MB HDD), a homeless 5155 Portable motherboard in a generic case (with an Intel Inboard 386/PC), a Tandy 1000 RL, and -- ending the what's-considered-vintage-here -- a Packard Bell 386SX (found it on eBay for a good price; t'was my first computer in my childhood), and a PS/2 Model 76 that we've had so much fun discussing. I dropped in one of those Evergreen 133MHz parts into the PS/2 making it fly!

On the below-top shelf are a side-by-side wreck of a VGA LCD (from an old experiment long ago, has minor damage and overall doesn't work that well, but good enough for this) and a Tandy CGA monitor, which works just fine. Not visible is a KVM switch that switches the I/O for the PB and PS/2, and the A/B switch above the Tandy monitor switches the CGA output between the IBM PC and the Tandy. On top is a parallel port ZIP drive (compatible with palmzip.sys) and a Backpack parallel port CD-ROM drive (currently hooked to the overdriven PS/2.) There are network cables that go to a few of the machines so capable (Tandy, PB, and PS/2), which are waiting on a switch to arrive, and the shell case is going to be a single ultra-modern machine for times when I need a capable co-computer; obviously not complete! Nor very interesting to this lot. :)

I bought the shelves these things are on and said if I ever filled them up, I wouldn't buy any more old PCs... well, guess that day has come, huh? Still looking for things in my "Desired" list though...

Check your PM.

Any yeah, I have finished the "super" PC on top. Just working the Bocaram in there now..

Back