• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Questions about an IBM 6586

SunSpotter

Experienced Member
Apologies if this is a lot of questions for one topic, I'm new here and I've recently acquired a very particular IBM 6586. It was missing system RAM, video RAM, and a hard drive. No graphics card, network card, or sound card either. But what it did have a lot of, is ISA serial expansion cards. Three of them in fact.

There are two of the PH979C cards, and one PH1609.

AMEK PH979C.jpg

AMEK PH1609.jpg

Picture of the back:
Card Back.jpg

I'd really like to know if anyone knows more about these, because I can't find anything. I'd also like to know if anyone has any interest in them? Seeing as how I'm mostly going to use this system for reading old media and playing DOS games, I don't think I'll need all these if they really do nothing more than just add parallel and VGA ports.

More importantly, I'd also really like some advice on what to do about my RAM situation.

As far as system RAM goes, I ordered the max configuration allowable for this system (4x32mb SIMM), but I stupidly ordered it as EDO ram because it was cheap. The IBM manual for these computers doesn't indicate that 6x8x models support EDO ram, so I'm uncertain if it will be unusable or if I just won't have the advantage that EDO provides.

On the graphics side, I'd ideally like to restore the VRAM chips and add a 3d accelerator card later. But I can't find anywhere that's selling the 1mb chips for reasonable prices. Everything is either RFQ, or odd Russain sites demanding $600. It wouldn't surprise me if there are compatible chips out there that are more common, but I don't even know where to look for that.

If anyone needs clarification on the details, just ask. I did a fair bit of research before posting, but at some point just felt like I was out of my element.

VRAM chips

Give us a model so maybe we could come up with a cross reference...

So I did some more digging, and the memory I need is actually listed as a 60ns DRAM chip, which is interesting. I would have thought it was actual VRAM.

As far as actually tracking down compatible chips being sold today goes though, I've still had no luck. I'm starting to wonder how feasible it would be to rip a compatible chip off of something else, and slot that into my motherboard.

Thought I would provide some closure to this thread since it's been a while now and I've since figured much of what I needed to know, hopefully it comes in use to someone in the future.

On system memory, I was under the impression you needed a specific type of SIMM ram after reading through some old IBM manuals. But I later got a bunch of 72-pin SIMM ram from a relative and excepting a few bad sticks, everything seemed to work when I tested out the pairs I had. I never tried mixing pairs together, but overall I wouldn't stress about getting the EXACT ram IBM specifies for these machines.

As for the video memory, using the FRU number turned out to be a pretty worthless endeavor. I eventually found a datasheet comparing FRU numbers and part numbers, and found a new old stock Ebay listing by searching for the (frustratingly similar) part number 92G7443. Now that I actually have the chips, I can say with certainty that the specific chip you would be looking for has the code HM514260CJ6R. At the moment they're being sold on AliExpress, but if need be you could probably find compatible ram by looking for 256x16 (or 262,144-word × 16-bit) 60ns SOJ ram. You can find the original datasheet for these chips here: http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/118620/HITACHI/HM514260CJ-6R.html

Only thing I don't have much to say about is the AMEK cards. Closest I could find to them even existing was an old Ebay listing. Fortunately they seem like they're pretty run of the mill? Only thing all that neat about them is the rainbow dip switches :cool:

FWIW, the issues with system memory being proprietary pretty much disappeared after IBM got away from the PS/2 lineup. Generally beginning with the Aptiva line, it pretty much was generic RAM from there on. I've got a PC350 with 144MB of generic RAM and never had a problem with it. It's a dual-booter (Win98se/Win2K).

amek cards

amek cards

Apologies if this is a lot of questions for one topic, I'm new here and I've recently acquired a very particular IBM 6586. It was missing system RAM, video RAM, and a hard drive. No graphics card, network card, or sound card either. But what it did have a lot of, is ISA serial expansion cards. Three of them in fact.

There are two of the PH979C cards, and one PH1609.

View attachment 53991

View attachment 53992

I'd be interested in the amek cards as they may suit an application i have.

I am new to the forum so hi everyone.

Hello,

This cards are for amek mixing consoles it controls all the communication with the console and the software of amek suprtrue Automation, switches on the console and recall.

I would like to have them as a spare card.

You can not use them for other purposes.

Regards Raimund

Back