• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

QUIKSERV v1.1 RC1 - now HTTP and FTP

I was a little fast in stating that "everything" worked. :) The http works as before, and I can log into FTP but ... here is what I get:
Code:
ftp> ls
200 Command okay.
150 File status okay; about to open data connection.
And there it stays - also with the dir command. The "help" and "pwd" work fine.
When I abort the client I get this:
Code:
receive aborted
waiting for remote to finish abort
425 Can't open data connection.-1 0
I've gone over and over the INI files. Any suggestions?

are you just using it over your LAN? because if you set "myip" to your internet IP but then do not have your FTP data ports (not port 21, the other ones) forwarded on your router to passthru to your QUIKSERV computer you will not be able to use passive mode.

if you're just using it on the LAN, re-comment out the myip line, or type the LAN IP of your QUIKSERV machine. let me know if that helps you.

if you're just using it on the LAN, re-comment out the myip line, or type the LAN IP of your QUIKSERV machine. let me know if that helps you.
Thanks for your reply. Yep, I'm using the LAN IP. Things are still the same. I should say though that this is from the plain old ftp client on my linux box. Perhaps there is some security there of which I am not aware, but it works when I run the NCSA telnet (ftp) server on the same DOS machine as I'm running QUIKSERV. My router is a plain jane wrt54gl with no special setup. One update though: I discovered that watftp from another dos computer works fine. Still, I'd like to connect with everything.

I just ran ftp with debug on but I don't understand the output. Here it is:
Code:
ftp> debug
Debugging on (debug=1).
ftp> dir
ftp: setsockopt (ignored): Permission denied
---> PORT 192,168,1,101,135,106
200 Command okay.
---> LIST
And there it sits. Any more suggestions?

Thanks for your reply. Yep, I'm using the LAN IP. Things are still the same. I should say though that this is from the plain old ftp client on my linux box. Perhaps there is some security there of which I am not aware, but it works when I run the NCSA telnet (ftp) server on the same DOS machine as I'm running QUIKSERV. My router is a plain jane wrt54gl with no special setup. One update though: I discovered that watftp from another dos computer works fine. Still, I'd like to connect with everything.

I just ran ftp with debug on but I don't understand the output. Here it is:
Code:
ftp> debug
Debugging on (debug=1).
ftp> dir
200 Command okay.
---> LIST
And there it sits. Any more suggestions?

it looks like your ftp client isn't allowed to open a listening port. have you tried running it as a superuser?

btw, guys i found a NTCPDRV secret... i have increased the download speed from my 286 server from 8 KB/s to a solid 18 KB/s by starting NTCPDRV like this:

NTCPDRV.EXE -ip=x.x.x.x -netmask=x.x.x.x -gateway=x.x.x.x -mss=4096 -rwin=4096 ip.goes.here.again 28

and then change the pktlen line in QUIKSERV.INI to 3200

it looks like your ftp client isn't allowed to open a listening port. have you tried running it as a superuser?
I get exactly the same problem as root. After a bit of searching, I now understand the error message above:
Code:
That means that it is asking for port 135x256+106=34666. I tried setting a port that high in QUIKSERV and it overflows. Besides the linux client asks for a different port every time. I'm guessing this the active/passive thing which I don't totally grok. I have no idea what to configure, it just always works and I use it a lot. There is no information on configuring a linux ftp client, it seems nobody does it, or needs to do it. I'm sure it's just some little thing and I'll figure it out at some point. In the meanwhile the QUIKSERV http works like a charm.

I get exactly the same problem as root. After a bit of searching, I now understand the error message above:
Code:
That means that it is asking for port 135x256+106=34666. I tried setting a port that high in QUIKSERV and it overflows. Besides the linux client asks for a different port every time. I'm guessing this the active/passive thing which I don't totally grok. I have no idea what to configure, it just always works and I use it a lot. There is no information on configuring a linux ftp client, it seems nobody does it, or needs to do it. I'm sure it's just some little thing and I'll figure it out at some point. In the meanwhile the QUIKSERV http works like a charm.

i'm glad you found that problem! this is why public testing is awesome. :)

i can fix that overflow issue now... next release it'll be taken care of.

BUG FOUND:
when browsing in FTP, if I open a folder containing nothing but sub-folders, the folder will appear empty.

ANOTHER BUG FOUND:
The file-created dates are returned wrong. The files on my computers are mainly from about 1992-1994, howerer, all the files/folders I see when browsing in FTP is dated from 2006 to 2008 (and I am browsing the right computer).

Back