• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Radio Shack Plug N' Power Module software with new Home Control module.

NeXT

Veteran Member
I stumbled across a cassette of the Home Controller Program that was used in conjunction with the TRS-80 Model I or III and the X10 Interface.
Photo_130.jpg

I'm unfortunately missing the controller however I do have the newer Serial INterface which was rebadged by IBM but otherwise is the same as the regular X10 branded one.
!B6+QCcgEWk~$(KGrHqUOKoYEz!t)k(BfBMy79ZU-Z!~~_35.JPG

I'm curious if this older software will properly communicate with the newer interface module. It sure would make my Model I completely useful.

This controller you have was probably intended to work with the X10 PL-513 or TW-523 power line interfaces (which also have a modular phone jack on the bottom.) The device in the second picture (CM11A) is much newer and speaks RS232 and contains much intelligence (I wrote Qbasic code to interface with that one, it ran my house for five years). The PL-513 and TW-523 require much more external hardware, which is likely in the radioshack box. Here is the datasheet for the PL-513 / TW-523 : ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/technicalnote.pdf

Lou

So in other words no,the software will not work with the newer interface module.
Depending on how your software is written you might be able to easily adapt it to your module; in any case the newer module gives you a lot more flexibility if you don't mind writing your own code.

Alternatively, you should be able to pick up one of the PL/TW modules fairly easily/cheaply.

If all else fails, I have the control software on CD. I was going to make a Home Automation box out of an Aptiva S but if I could do the same easily with an expanded Model I with RS-232, I'd do it.

Back