• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Reading an MC68701

antiquekid3

Veteran Member
I've found an older piece of avionics that uses a Motorola MC68701, which is essentially a more complex 6800 with internal EPROM, RAM, and a few other peripherals. The 2kB EPROM is apparently programmed using an external EPROM routine. I assume it's also verified externally by another software routine. However, does anyone know if any modern EPROM programmers can read (programming not needed) this chip?

Thanks!

Looks like my (long out of production) Needham's EMP31 supports the 68701.

Don't know if this IC has any sort of code security, but if it doesn't I'd be happy to extract the code if you send the IC along. I'm in NH

- Gary

I agree, I don't think the 68701 has any sort of security.

I'll have to pick up an EMP-31 then! Sounds like a useful programmer.

Right now, the control display unit is a little inaccessible as I'm moving houses (note to any collectors out there: don't move if you can help it), but when it resurfaces, I'll pull the chip and get in touch. Thanks!

Needham's EMP30 and EMP31 are essentially the same unit, the EMP31 added USB.

Sadly Needham's disappeared a while back - the name has resurfaced but it's not the same company.

The EMP31 doesn't show up often, and when it does is usually missing the necessary "SIMMS" that configure the unit for various IC's. It's a fantastic programmer if you can locate all of the SIMMs and necessary sockets. I checked a few of my other general purpose programmers (MiniPro, Needhams EMP11/EMP20, B&K 844A and and older BP Microsystems) and the EMP31 was the only one that seemed to support the 68701.

- Gary

Back