• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Really noisy hard dirves

Apple Widget drives... hands down the worst sounding... like nails on a chalk board when they were new and even worse today if they still work.

It's great when there are little subtleties and changes to the noises that come and go due to heat changes, etc. It adds a nice atmosphere to the bench area. :)

Server rooms used to be very loud places, but now I can walk into a datacenter with 1000's of rack PC's and it's nearly silent except for the cooling systems. Heck, if it's a modern center running on DC rails and low-power CPUs, even that is not noisy.

I have some Maxtor FH MFM and RLL drives that sound quite similar and have for the last 25 - 30 years. :)

I have three Maxtor FH drives. Two are MFM and one is ESDI. The MFM drives make a terrific racket, but they don't work. The ESDI drive is pretty noisy, and it still works, but it can't hold a candle to that little Quantum drive in the video.

If it doesn't say Seagate on it, it isn't loud. I've had hundreds of drives that ran constantly for decades. The Seagates sounded like they came from the factory with facets on the spindle bearing rollers. Unfortunately out of all of them, the Seagates lasted the longest.

Back