• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recommendations on Task Switchers?

Since I'm building my 486 part by part and obsessing over each decision :p I decided to go with DR DOS 6 which has the TASKMAX switcher. TASKMAX seems to have everything I want, plus DR DOS 6 has some bonus features that seem fun. I'm going to be running DBASE 3 Plus, Word Perfect, Lotus, a Command Prompt, and SSHDOS and not multitasking, just switching between them all.

The project is all parts on my workbench so far (need a power supply and ram chips), but it's sure a blast doing this stuff :)

I appreciate all the advice!
Good stuff. Keep us posted on how you get on.

I've still got my DRDos 6 Manuals and discs I bought new back in the day. Being a gui hoar though I ran GeoWorks Pro with it.

Last edited:
Well I think that maybe OS/2 2.00 is a decent task switcher. Use a little program called Tshell.exe the file is free ware and do a google search for tshell.zip to get it there is a tshell.rme file in the archive which is a readme file on how to install. Looks almost like the OS/2 1.0 shell. Pix attached. And can run multiple instances of DOS each running it's own program! So basically just copy tshell.exe to the root directory and the other .exe file to the os/2 directory. Make a safety copy of config.sys before you edit it and change the line PROTSHELL=C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE TO PROTSHELL=C:\TSHELL.EXE. And that's it reboot and give it a try.

100_1098.jpg

Last edited:
Back