• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recovering TS-DOS TPDD formatted floppy

Juror22

Experienced Member
I received a floppy with a Tandy 200 some time back that that is for TS-DOS (a disk operating system for the TPDD from Traveling Software). At the time, neither the computer nor the TPDD that came with it worked. I finally got around to fixing the Tandy Portable Floppy Drive (belt replaced) and I have another T200 that I obtained recently with only a few issues (backup battery needed replacing and a trace was gone from a pre-existing battery mishap), that I also fixed. Now that I have a working system, I wanted to try and read the disk.

The floppy drive works fine with the Utilities that it came with (formats, reads, writes, backups), but I would like to be able to read the TS-DOS installation disk, unfortunately, it is warped and won't read (IO error).

SO - does anyone know how to fix a warped floppy? (take out the interior and move it to a non-warped outer casing?) I'm guessing that it was subjected to attic heat or some similar incident to warp it.
Is there another way to get the software off the disk?
is TS-DOS worth going through this effort?

Certainly worth a try putting the cookie into a good casing. Why not sign up at Club100; lots of helpful folks there, not to mention all sorts of tools and software, and someone will surely be able to help if you need anything.

http://www.club100.org/

Most people actually use TS-DOS with one of several TPDD emulators running on a PC instead of a real drive; it's definitely a useful program that integrates the TPDD or emulator into the menu system.

Hope to see ya over there.

I have purchased some items from CLub100 - it is an excellent resource for these early machines.
I have grafted the cookie into another case - I will see how it works and report back.

I have purchased some items from CLub100 - it is an excellent resource for these early machines.
I have grafted the cookie into another case - I will see how it works and report back.
I was actually suggesting that you join the mail list; lots of helpful people there.

Not much left in the 'store' other than the REX & NADS addons etc., although there may still be some belts for the TPDD.

I knew what you meant, but thanks for the clarification - I just wanted to mention that I knew of it, from getting some items there. The belt brought my TPDD back to life and I replaced my battery in my T200 with ones purchased from there. I have joined the mailing list as well.

Unfortunately, the transplant was unsuccessful (it was kind of a longshot since the cookie has also been exposed to the prolonged heat that had done in the case)

Thanks again.

Let me check my stuff. I THINK I have a TS-DOS disk. If so, I'll see about making a copy and would be happy to send it for shipping costs, probably VERY minimal.

Curtis

Back