• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Remote file downloading examples for TOPS-10

RichCini

Veteran Member
All --

Back in this thread (DEC-10: connecting remote sites and usage in 20HAL) from a few years ago, I mentioned reverse engineering an old tool used during the development of MS-DOS 1 and the IBM-PC (described on my web site here). I've made much progress since then (but missed the anniversary) and I posted the code on my Github. What remains open is the DEC-side file transfer programs which aren't known to exist.

In short, the local program (basically, a rudimentary terminal emulator program) sends a command string ("R CPMLOD") to the TOPS-10 system over an acoustic modem which then runs a file transfer program that resides there. Then, the file transfer occurs. There are two programs -- one for binary/object files and one for text/MAC files. The protocol is unknown, but seems to be a simple 128-byte block with no apparent CRC, but the sync characters don't seem to match XMODEM or anything else.

So, I'm looking for any example code that I can study and maybe hack a bit to get something working as part of the simulation. I realize this is a pretty specific request, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rich

Back