• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Replacing a C64 power supply with an ATX one

OK 80% sure now that the problem is my KERNAL rom, it operates maybe 3 times hotter than my other roms. Where could I acquire a new rom?
Huh? What about the 6510 not getting 5V?

Or are you pulling our legs? It's the 8th of April, not the first...

What's the number of the ROM?

Last edited:
Huh? What about the 6510 not getting 5V?

Or are you pulling our legs? It's the 8th of April, not the first...

What's the number of the ROM?

I fixed the 5v problem it was just a loose connection but the kernal rom is the problem I think, the number of the rom is 901227-03 in socket U4.

I fixed the 5v problem it was just a loose connection but the kernal rom is the problem I think, the number of the rom is 901227-03 in socket U4.

Do you have access to some cartridges? If you have an ultimax one, like Jupiter Lander, it bypasses the kernal ROM and so should successfully boot.

Rob

Is this something someone could build and sell to people? I bet a lot of people (including me) would love to have a better PSU that doesn't heat up.

There are newly built 3rd party power supplies on eBay. They are not cheap, but perhaps of higher reliability than the early ones. Basically the same can be said about DIY, often components themselves would cost twice as much as an old brick in unknown condition will set you back.

There are newly built 3rd party power supplies on eBay. They are not cheap, but perhaps of higher reliability than the early ones. Basically the same can be said about DIY, often components themselves would cost twice as much as an old brick in unknown condition will set you back.
At $3.00 each for a working one I don't think I'd bother DIYing one which could fail just as easily; add a zener and extra fuse if you're worried about overvoltage.

Back