• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Requiring some Network help

Crypticalcode0

Experienced Member
Hello Folks I am back again.

I have a question pertaining to the later DOS versions, my trust AMD 386.
And how to Connect to a switch using the 3com Etherlink III ISA card.
And Bridging that connection by a null modem cable to my amiga.

What I want to achive by doing this is transfering files to/from my newer systems to my amiga.

Any advice guys?

Depends on what you're trying to bridge to.
The 3Com will negotiate with the switch as soon as power is applied. It's a case of installing software to communicate with something else on that switch.
If it doesn't, you will need Disk 2 of the 3Com Etherdisk - run 3c5x9cfg.exe to set the card up.

If you're going DOS to DOS - I like NWLite
If you're going to Windows XP/7/8 - easiest is probably setting up an FTP server, and using mTCP to connect to it
If you're going to Windows 95/98 - try Microsoft LanManager - it'll let you connect to a Windows fileshare

Alternatively, Windows for Workgroups 3.11 with the TCP/IP addon - will let you run an FTP app if required, and should be able to see a Windows 95/98 file share. I prefer this over LanMan on any 386 with 4Mb or more.

Just to clarify, you don't connect to a switch, you connect through a switch. It's just a distribution device like a hub (except better).

your correct.

The goal is to have the 386 emulate a modem for the Amiga.
My Network is kinda a miss matched heap of systems running an mix of DOS, 98SE, win7 and linux.
I wish to add AOS to that fray.

And I hope to use my DOS system as the bridge because I do not have the resources to affort an Zorro Network card or bridge board.
So i am kinda looking at a 95 poor man's solution here.

I don't know anything about IP forwarding in DOS, but if you booted a small linux distro on the 386, it would be be more than powerful enough to forward a SLIP connection

I know how to do that.
I want to know how to do it with DOS.

why?
Because if your only tool is a hammer everything starts to look like nails.

If you are serious about that ...

https://code.google.com/p/mtcp/wiki/Programming_Sample

That is a link to the mTCP Wiki. There is a sample program there that shows you how to write a simple program using TCP/IP sockets.

mTCP will not serve as a TCP/IP router or gateway for you. But you could easily modify that program to send and receive packets on the network and then transfer them to the Amiga on the serial port. Unlike the Lantronix gadgets, you could choose to send data to the Amiga in more complex ways than just one byte at a time from the TCP/IP stream. UDP would also be available to you.

Mike

Back