• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Resistance is futile - Rejuvenating vintage computer keyboard key contacts

Jeff_Birt

Experienced Member
I don't normally post about my videos but this one pertains to many different systems that have keyboards with conductive rubber key contacts. We take a look at a method to rejuvenate the keyboard key contacts on vintage computer keyboards that don’t work anymore due to having too high of a resistance.

This quest started nearly two years ago with an Amiga 500 that had a few nonworking keys. I tried many things that did not work on the Amiga key stems but found some of them did work for other keypads, like remote controls.

Bringing the Amiga and C64 stems back to life eluded me as they do not lend themselves any sort of conductive coatings. Due to their shape they flex, and the coating falls off. This started me on a journey to try to find out what caused the contacts to go bad in the first place and then to try to find a way to rejuvenate them.

After months of research I found a simple and inexpensive way to rejuvenate these high resistance key stems using common household chemicals. As a bonus I try out a new adhesive to fix the cracked plastic part of the stem.

https://youtu.be/n9gGz2n-sBU

Back