• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Restoring a Gateway 2000 4DX2-50 80486 Desktop (Warning: Lots of images)

Peter, thanks for the suggestions. As this image indicates, yes, I have selected Sony drive mode (image also listed in the post right above yours):

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21390&d=1415500748

I tried this with SB drivers (sbcd.sys) and also with the Sony drivers provided here:

http://ibm-pc.org/drivers/cdrom/OTHER/other.html

I unzipped the sfx file 173A.exe and used slcd.sys with the args shown in the snapshot I provided of my config.sys. Does your CDU-33A use slcd.sys or a different driver?

The cd-rom problem isnt an controller problem, it would just works fine on the soundcard.. But the problem would be the cable..

The cable you needed it is a proprietary one.. I like like a floppy cable because its the same 34 pin cable.. But the connectors are mounted on the cable on a different way.. It would work like other panasonic, or mitsumi proprietary cables do..

A normal IDE or floppy cable wont just work.. Maybe you can flip the connector on the sound.. So installing the red line from pin 1 to pin 34..

And on the cd-rom you need to try whats the best way to connect it to de cd-rom drive.. Most people doesnt know about this an thinking to use a normal ide cable.

If you know how to connect the connectors to the cable, you better make one proprietary cable by your self.. If you want to find an original one, i think you never would find one.

I think the cd-rom side needs to be twisted..

Connector from the soundcard needs to be straight.

I think the cd-rom side needs to be twisted..

Connector from the soundcard needs to be straight.

CD off the sound card is most always proprietary (and you use what ever cable the spec calls for). CD coming off the IDE is on a straight through cable while selecting MSTR|SLAVE|CS (just like another IDE HD.

To be clear: a Sony CDU-33A works 100% with a straight FDD cable (no twist, just 2 connectors) connected the regular way (red side / pin 1 aligned with controller card and CD-ROM). There is no need to make this more complicated.

I gave up using proprietary cdrom readers years ago on my older kit primarily because of the lack of cdr support. Did a similar my Acorn PC600 Got quite a few ISA sound cards that have an IDE interface. I guess with them all being networked these days it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
To be clear: a Sony CDU-33A works 100% with a straight FDD cable (no twist, just 2 connectors) connected the regular way (red side / pin 1 aligned with controller card and CD-ROM). There is no need to make this more complicated.

That is how I've connected them, and the alignment is shown in the images. The drive side alignment is forced since there is a notch in the receptor which ensures the cable is plugged in only one direction.

Current status is that the IDE drive works, the CDU-33A does not. To save time, I removed the IDE HDD and placed it into a PATA dock which is plugged into my daily-use, internet connected system. Now, I'm just collecting all the SW I want and copying it to the IDE HDD. Will then place the HDD back into the Gateway.

Activities will be on hold for a few days as I am going to be travelling to the North East for work and will be up there pretty much this whole week. I will continue the ACCTON and CDU-33A battle shortly thereafter.

Have fun and safe travel!

I love the Sony CDU-33A because it was the first CD-ROM I bought back in the 1990s for my 486DX33 and I saved for months to afford it. It brings back a lot of really good memories.

It was my first drive as well, but I hated it. For a 2X it wasn't all that quick, it was noisy, it didn't have a motor to control the bay door, it didn't have a proper LED indicator and it generally let me down on most operating system installs because of its proprietary nature. The only good things I can say about it was that it was cheap and it could read multi session CD-ROMs.

My first drive was a Mitsumi.

The first CDROM that I bought was also a 1x Mitsumi for my 386SX. At the time I was convinced that OS/2 was the real thing and the way to go. This was slightly before the internet and I was using Mind Spring on a dial-up (America Online was also big about that time, along with Carmen Sandiego). There was some fellow on one of the BB's that was writing an OS/2 driver for that Mitsumi, and he eventually succeeded. The caddy on the Mitsumi was its most distinguishing attribute, as I remember. Brings back some good memories. That thing may still be laying around in a box up in the rafters.

I had one of those pull out Mitsumi drives in my first PC. Slow as dirt, even for a 1X drive since the seek time was so slow. It made the Sony 2X drives look fast. I lusted for one of those Toshiba caddy loading 2X SCSI drives. Those suckers were fast back in 1993. :p

I never had a problem using proprietary interface CD-ROM drives in various OSes, including the Sony.

Got a little more time this weekend, after months of hardly any. Where I left it off was that a "new" 1.2GB HDD had been installed with a minimal DOS install. The Mitsumi CD didn't work, and while an IDE did, I didn't have one with a white faceplate and thus decided I wouldn't "deface" the gateway with that.

Last week, I ordered a ton of 1.44MB floppies. I decided I would get Windows and DOS on there the "old fashioned" way and worry about the rest later. Six floppies for Windows ain't that bad. With help from my boys, we got Windows loaded and working great. Then, last night, I found the ACCTON LAN drivers and got those working. The install went very smoothly. Next step was to get a packet driver and then install mbrutmann's fabulous mTCP suite (Thank you, sir!). Since the Gateway is on a workbench in the garage, getting a physical LAN cable was an issue. Luckily, I had a netgear Ethernet-over-Power adapter which did the job well. With network connectivity, a DHCP address was acquired and I then configured the mTCP FTP server to wait for inbound connections.

A couple hours later, I had quite a bit of software transferred over, but I saw the FTP server go offline. Walked back into the garage to find that the HDD was flaking out. Luckily, a restart got it going again, but this is an old HDD from eBay, so who knows how long its going to last. I need to get NDD installed and at least mark the troublesome sectors.

So far, we've got a few games (Prince of Persia, Windroids, Super Mario, Chessnet and the std Windows game-lets) going. I was also able to get Mathematica and WordPerfect running. Trumpet on 3.1 is the network configuration I went with (as opposed to WFWG 3.11), along with the winpkt driver. All the web browsers, including IE, Netscape and Opera, are pathetically out of date. Google will show search results on Opera and that's about it. I couldn't get anything else to work - but that's to be expected, and I don't really mind. The only real reason to want the web is to lookup tech HOWTOs specific to this system/DOS/apps and get software. I am going to try to find some good Windows 3.1/DOS app FTP sites so I can skip the web altogether and just get the apps I need. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Next steps on the software side are to get more games - the boys love retro titles! - install programming environments (Qbasic, Turbo C and Assembler), get what is left of my old source code transferred over and set this up pretty much like my "1993" 80486 was once configured. I wouldn't mind messing around with Corel Draw and Ventura again either. I found DESQView/X but am wondering whether to go down the path of running that for X remoting. Probably the only viable way to get a reasonable web browser on this system (displaying locally, if not actually running).

On the hardware front, the HDD troubles me. Need to get a CD-ROM with a white-faceplate and get the sound drivers working too.

How about just using a text browser if it just HowTos you're after? A windows irc client would be useful as well I'd imagine. You can also use the WfW tcpip32b FTP and Telnet clients in Windows 3.1 as well. I've put these on my 286.

How about just using a text browser if it just HowTos you're after? A windows irc client would be useful as well I'd imagine. You can also use the WfW tcpip32b FTP and Telnet clients in Windows 3.1 as well. I've put these on my 286.

Good idea. I've got most of this installed. Here are some pics:

WP_20150413_19_32_05_Pro.jpgWP_20150413_19_36_22_Pro.jpgAdobePhotoshopExpress_ccdc5d6a17e540869a7b4e0305cee11d.jpg

Back