• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

retro-fuse

Dare

Experienced Member
I posted about this to the tuhs list, but thought people here might be interested as well...

As an exercise for learning more about Sixth-edition Unix, I've created a FUSE-based filesystem capable of mounting v6 disk images under linux. Unlike some other tools in this space, my implementation is capable of both reading and writing v6 filesystems, and supports enough modern filesystem features to make it comfortably usable with modern applications. Source and documentation for the filesystem, called retro-fuse, are available at https://github.com/jaylogue/retro-fuse.

One novel feature of retro-fuse is, rather than being a wholesale re-implementation of the v6 filesystem, it incorporates the actual v6 kernel code itself. The original v6 code has been "lightly" modernized to work with current compilers, and reconfigured to run as a Unix process. There's also a filesystem initialization feature that incorporates code from the original mkfs tool. This ensures that filesystems written by the tool are historically accurate in terms of their on-disk structure.

Right now the code only runs on Linux, but a port to MacOS is in the works.

--Jay

Back