• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

RL11 and RL02 Question

Activmaker

Experienced Member
Hi,

I started thinking to put in my 11/45 emulated hard drives. For now RL02 seems to be correct as I can find disk images ready to use. In the documentation of RL11 I read this :
"RL11 Is a mass storage with a capacity of 5 to 20Mo." Something is not clear here : Only 20Mo , why not 40Mo ? A RL02 can contains around 10Mo and we can put 4 RL02 on a RL11, correct ? I am wondering if there is a limitation with RL02 ..With 4 disks do we must mix RL01 and RL02 or is possible to put 4 identical drive ? In this case ok with 4 RL01 (4*5Mo) but not with 4 RL02...:( Is somebody can clarify this point ?
Thanks.

Which documentation are you looking at? I suspect that it is only accounting for the RL01. The documentation I'm looking at says the total capacity is up to 40MB, and implies that RL01 and RL02 drives can be freely mixed on an RL11 controller.

I found this in EK-ORL11-TD-001 . I am now sure that it is a mistake as I found in a other documentation the fact that we can have 40Mo using 4xRL02 .
Anyway, I am wondering now if we can use 2 RL 11 in a system. It seems to be possible with configuring correctly jumpers on board. But is this something common?

There are no limitations to combinations of RL01 and RL02 drives attached to the RL-11. Up to 4 drives, of either model. So in the end, the max capacity from one RL-11 is 40MB.

Also, there are no actual limits to how many controllers you can have. However, in practice, you'll hit issues with bus bandwidth after a while, if many controllers are transferring at the same time, so you'll get data late errors. But a few controllers are just fine.

But don't try 30 controllers on the bus... :)

Back