• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Router discussion

Just to finish up this thread (at least from my own perspective) here's what happened.

I figured out what was up with the 3500Lv2 and general internet information on it. For one thing, this model is relatively new, and there is confusion about it because retailers are still selling version one and not knowing (or being deceptive) about the versions. It also appears that someone (or many people) goofed with the published information. I see mixtures of specifications for both versions. It would appear that some retailers have done a cut/paste from two sources. Of course, being a new model, users have just recently developed software for it, and things hadn't settled down in the "user questions" department - Google still showing results for year old (and no longer relevant) posts.

Anyway, I decided to buy the Netgear WNR3500L version 2 because of the 120MB flash and 120MB ram. In order to get that version, I had to phone a retailer and ask him to open the box. Other sources like eBay and Amazon, had mixed and untrustworthy information.

So, now having this model in use and loaded with Tomato Shibby version 105 AIO. The AIO stands for all in one. Ha! It certainly does have a lot of features and I'm loving it. Being able to see realtime usage graphs for both bandwidth and individual IP traffic is really cool. The same thing in coloured pie charts is cute, but not a real plus like many of the other features, which by the way, don't really clutter things up - it's still the same old Tomato, just with longer menus when you click on them.

Two things bear a special mention. The USB is actually quite handy as it is really easy to just stick a flash drive in it and use it for NAS with FTP - anonymous or secure. Of course this is not needed if there is another server in the system, but I found that I could use the drive to store my hosts file. That works really well instead of storing hosts files on all computers.* This brings me to the second, and very important point. It seems that the 120MB flash is not all usable on this router yet. I'll have to wait for people to include it in Tomato. I discovered this (much to my chagrin) when I SSHed into the router and tried to save the hosts file and realize that I couldn't. The USB was the perfect solution and I don't mind that. I just want to warn people that this router isn't all it's cracked up to be. The best thing about it is that it will take a really large build like Shibby AIO.

* Having the hosts file on the gateway router also makes it so that guests using my wireless will be subject to the same rules. Which (snicker snicker) redirects facebook.com to a page on a local computer which warns the user of what they've just done, and gives a link to the real facebook should they wish to continue. I normally block facebook because I'm tired of those blue fingers and cookies, so the web page in between serves the same purpose as a block, but just adds the lols.

Back