• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

RS/6000 7011-250 - What can I do?

sev

Experienced Member
I have a Old IBM RS/6000 7011-250. It has I think AIX on it, but no monitor connection, I can get output on a serial connection, but I dont know the system password to get in.

I want to be able to use the machine with a monitor, but dont know what kind of video card to get? the last time i powered this thing was in 2001. I bought a run of the mill microchannel video card for it back then but it didnt work, im thinking maybe I got the wrong one. And as far as password, what can I do to get around it??

Besides AIX what OS can I load on it, anything cool I can do with it?

A 7011-250? Not a great deal, but they can be interesting machines. It's most likely running AIX 4 and there are some remote exploits for that you may be able to find a rootkit for. They do have a nice workstation look to them.

As far as MCA video cards go, the problem is the machine ROS -- many of the later cards are too new to support LFT functions. You'd be looking for a GT series card like the GT1 or GT1X, but they're hard to find.

One of the easiest ways to remedy the password problem is to reinstall the OS. IMO, I would upgrade to AIX ver. 5.1

See link below:

http://compgroups.net/comp.unix.aix/feeling-stupid-with-a-rs6000-250-7011-s-serial/1250259

How well would AIX 5.1 run on a 66MHz 7011-250?

At one point I had a set of these, which ran OK with AIX 3.2.5, but were not as usable when loaded down with AIX 5.1:
1990-1992 IBM RS/6000 POWERserver / POWERstation:
7012-320 20MHz desktop
7012-320H 25MHz desktop
7013-520 20MHz deskside

After I lost interest in them I couldn't find a local taker for them and ended up dumping them at a local computer recycler.

-Glen

If AIX v. 5.1 ran too slow on those machines, then it would probably be too slow on your 66Mhz box. Do you still have the AIX ver 4 disks?

There should be a version of Linux available for Power PC computers..

I have a Old IBM RS/6000 7011-250. It has I think AIX on it, but no monitor connection, I can get output on a serial connection, but I dont know the system password to get in.
If you can get a copy of AIX, it is possible to boot from it and crack the password.

If you can get a copy of AIX, it is possible to boot from it and crack the password.

If you can boot from media with AIX on, you can simply mount the drive and change the root password. No need for "cracking" anything.

It needs to be a card with AIX drivers specifically, the normal PC MCA cards won't typically work.

I'd seek out the specific version of the GXT-150 designed for the 250, it uses a dedicated graphics slot (faster, as it runs at CPU bus speed and width, rather than Microchannel speed and width), and leaves the Microchannel slots free for other peripherals. My 250 has AIX 4.3.3 and a Personal/390 Adapter/A (with the optional RAM card) installed, and even AIX 4.3.3 is quite sluggish on it by my standards, to be honest. (Really, IBM wanted a lot better hardware for a P/390, but I wanted the smallest possible P/390 build. Don't say PS/2 Model P75, as I don't believe I could have gotten a SCSI controller capable of large disks and an Ethernet controller both in the small slots, and the 486 is even worse for I/O performance for the P/390.)

Back