• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Run IBM XT or AT diagnostics disk on clone system?

thisisamigaspeaking

Experienced Member
Is it possible to run the IBM diagnostic disk on a clone system? I get an error message that it is only for IBM XT and AT. I'm trying to test a PGC card.

Revisiting this. Is there a machine ID code in the BIOS I could modify that might let the diagnostics run? Anyone tried something like that? I understand the diagnostics will give a detailed analysis of the card and what might be wrong with it.

IIRC, replacing the BIOS with an actual IBM BIOS would allow the diagnostics to run on an exact clone. Disassembling the diagnostic software to see what it is checking for and fixing that would allow for the diagnostic to run on many clones with their installed BIOS. IBM frequently only checked for the IBM copyright message but I haven't done the work to verify that for the diagnostics.

Which clone are you planning on testing? Maybe someone here can recognize if it is a 100% exact clone or something that is off enough that the diagnostic software has no chance of running.

IIRC, replacing the BIOS with an actual IBM BIOS would allow the diagnostics to run on an exact clone. Disassembling the diagnostic software to see what it is checking for and fixing that would allow for the diagnostic to run on many clones with their installed BIOS. IBM frequently only checked for the IBM copyright message but I haven't done the work to verify that for the diagnostics.

Which clone are you planning on testing? Maybe someone here can recognize if it is a 100% exact clone or something that is off enough that the diagnostic software has no chance of running.
Right now trying it on an NuXT with V20.

There are other diagnostics out there too. I've got a set of the Landmark service diagnostics on floppy, but they would not work in your scenario, because they seem to only support intel or intel clone CPU for some reason. They would not run on an IBM motherboard I had installed a V20 in.

Which version? I never had a problem running IBM Diagnostics on a generic clone. In fact, aftermarket VGA cards all have "IBM" in their BIOS to make sure it would pass IBM's VGA diagnostics.

Which version? I never had a problem running IBM Diagnostics on a generic clone. In fact, aftermarket VGA cards all have "IBM" in their BIOS to make sure it would pass IBM's VGA diagnostics.
AT diagnostics 2.07. I also have 2.06 Advanced Diagnostics if that's different.
There are other diagnostics out there too. I've got a set of the Landmark service diagnostics on floppy, but they would not work in your scenario, because they seem to only support intel or intel clone CPU for some reason. They would not run on an IBM motherboard I had installed a V20 in.
I need the PGC diagnostic.

Back