• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Running IBM PC XENIX 1.0 in emulation

Svenska

Veteran Member
Hi,

did anyone succeed in running IBM PC XENIX 1.0 inside an emulator? It is a very close relative to Microsoft XENIX 3.0, which makes it relevant for me.

The system is unfortunately very picky with its hardware. It strictly requires an 80286, fails with EGA/VGA and it doesn't seem to like hard drives other than "Type 2" (20 MB). My 80286 clone doesn't like it at all, therefore I am trying to use emulation instead.

I have tried PCem v17, but I can't get the result to boot from the hard drive; it fails being unable to find /boot (which exists).
The emulated MFM controller causes the floppy disk to time out (probably DMA issues), but IDE seems to work fine (Type 2, 20 MB drive).

Maybe someone knows what I am doing wrong. Given the age of the software, I can't rule out corrupted disk images or simply bugs in the original data either...

Best Regards,
svenska

None of the PCJS configurations would work, and setting up it to run locally is... painful. It also not particularly great to use (and non-US keyboards confuse it).
But the hard drive is actually bootable after installation, even in PCem. So thanks for the hint!

Back