• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Rust Removal Questions for Apple IIgs

Arcady

Experienced Member
I have recently received an Apple IIgs. It is a working ROM 0 system, but it has some slight rust on top of the power supply and on some of the other bare metal parts inside the case. Thankfully there does not seem to be any rust on the MLB. I'd like to clean it up, but I'm wondering if anyone else here has tried any special techniques.

I was going to try soaking the parts in vinegar, but I'm not sure if this will hurt the plastics at all. Anyone know? Most of the RF shield is permanently attached to the plastic case.

The case is still mostly platinum (not yellowed) and looks good, so I don't want to mess that up.

As a side note, is it worth it to restore a ROM 0 machine, or should I just try to find a ROM 3?

I have recently received an Apple IIgs. It is a working ROM 0 system, but it has some slight rust on top of the power supply and on some of the other bare metal parts inside the case. Thankfully there does not seem to be any rust on the MLB. I'd like to clean it up, but I'm wondering if anyone else here has tried any special techniques.
Leaving it be is a tried-and-true technique. The rust won't hurt anything, and if it stays in a good environment, won't spread.
As a side note, is it worth it to restore a ROM 0 machine, or should I just try to find a ROM 3?
A ROM 0 is an interesting and somewhat rare beast. You probably want to save it for its own sake and also look for a ROM 3 if you want to do anything like run GSOS.

If it looks like it's spreading, and it's light surface (not penetrating deeply) the best way to remove it is some light machine oil (3 in 1) and scotch brite. Wipe dry when done, without using water. The bit of oil left behind will help protect it from further rusting.

Just be sure it's rust (steel) and not a heavy patina (aluminum) as removing patina actually accelerates the loss of metal as a good patina is actually a protective surface... while rust is cancer.

Back