• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

RX01 RT-11 no disk error 17

spiceminer

Experienced Member
Dear All!

I would like to ask for some advice how to perform trouble shooting on my dual RX01 drives.

I can boot RT-11 on my PDP11 using drive 1 but drive 0 is not working "ERR 17 no disk"

1713380824972.png

I have so far cleaned the drives including heads, the voltages are ok an all connectors seem to be non oxidized and have a good and tight fit. A cannot see any mechanical damage.
From the manuals I cannot find how the drive determines if a disk is inserted.

1713381083181.png

1713381108590.png
1713381160530.png

One thing I notice it that the spring for the door handle feels less stiff on the faulty drive

Best regards
Stephan

Last edited:
Just swapped the two drives, It seems like the error is related to the drive mechanism.

But, now when I boot from RX0 with the drives swapped, i can boot but I get a new error "reading handler"...

Swapping back to initial state and the new reading handler error disappears again.

1713384570485.png

From the manuals I cannot find how the drive determines if a disk is inserted.
What I remember is that a disk is considered inserted if the sector holes are being seen as the disk turns. This works in these drives because the spindle always turns.

If the cone isn't clamping properly or the belt is slipping, or maybe the sensor isn't sensing.

I've got one that has to warm up for at least 15 minutes before it starts to behave. I will get around to working on it one of these days.

First of course: Is the belt on the bottom of the drive?

Second: the IR light for sectors may be going out. Check it with a phone camera to see if it is lit and as bright as the other one.

Back