• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SCO Xenix 2.3.4 with CD-ROM?

cl3mens

Hi guys,

Managed to get Xenix running in vmware server (the key is to select DOS as OS-type).. Of course I want the Skunkware (the first release was for SCO UNIX 3.2, at least some of it should run).

So how do I get Xenix to recognize a standare IDE CD-ROM drive? Is there even a device driver? Some FAQ from '96 says that the short answer is no, since support for ISO9660 seems to be lacking. But I know lots of people here have been tinkering around with Xenix.

Sadly I'm missing the Developer and TCP/IP-disks, so I'm limited to UUCP if the CD fails me. :) I've read Echoes posts about it, so it shouldn't be a problem (thanks by the way).

There is skunkware for Xenix distributed on floppy disks / floppy images.

Generally you should give up cdrom support on Xenix. Network is much more important. However it doesn't work either as there are no drivers for the network cards.

The best way to transfer files in and out of Xenix are floppy disk images. You can also use COM port mapped to a named pipe under VMware. You can use it with kermit, or SLIP interface. You can connect it to a Linux in another VM guest.

If OpenServer supports MICNET you can try hooking them up with named pipe as well. Micnet works pretty well on Xenix to Xenix. Also Linux supports executing Xenix binaries through IBCS. Since Micnet is all usermode one could try running it on Linux. But kermit is so much simpler.

Good luck!

Back