• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Scrap Metal Forum and Vintage Computers

Le_Bear

Experienced Member
I've recently become a member here, and only several months since becoming one on Scrap Metal Forum

http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/forum.php

I believe the two could both find great benefit by being closely linked. SMF has become very into Ewaste and has many computer related threads. They have many scrap buyers listed (for times when you need to clean out the storage), as well as sellers (when you need hard to find parts, and they're hoping to find "better than scrap" value). They're often discussing what to do with vintage computers that yall are over here hoping to find parts for.

I have just myself discovered this forum today, after someone over there mentioned it, and have already seen this in detail on some old IBM 5160s that have been recently discussed on SFM(wondering what to do with them), and just today see threads here wanting parts from them

Don't want to scrap any vintage computers now, do we? But if they have some on hand, put them up for sale on this forum's for sale section. It's free and somebody may be looking for one.

Our local E-Waste event is this Saturday. Can't wait to see what findings I'll bring home.

Don't want to scrap any vintage computers now, do we? But if they have some on hand, put them up for sale on this forum's for sale section. It's free and somebody may be looking for one.

Our local E-Waste event is this Saturday. Can't wait to see what findings I'll bring home.

I think some may do just that! I've posted a similar suggestion on their site

I have browsed that place before, seems like they are super busy recycling some interesting gear.

But who'd just scrap a vintage computer. That'd be akin to scrapping a model-a or a p-51 mustang or something.

for reals! k2, i've also recommended there that they link to here, as well as to an antique autos forum @ http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/ for vintage autos and parts, and a ham radio operators one i can't find atm, that looks for old radio tubes. Some there at SMF are very re-use, and recycle concious, others are more scrap happy, but it might offer a chance for the two to somehow meet, with a better than scrap opportunity for both

Well when you don't know what it is or aren't an enthusiast it's hard to realize you have something worth more than the metal vs the general population that would laugh and say it's a worthless piece of junk. But that's an interest idea for sure.. so ... rebellious! flirting with the enemy! j/k Be cool to get some cross posting similar to the CL thread where we could find things local to us at least.

Unlike computers if I saw an old rusted out car or truck which is apparently something car enthusiasts would jump on, I would certainly pass it up or think it was trash. It's that paranoia that feeds lots of the hoarding and anti-hoarding shows these days. Do I throw it out? What if it's rare? What if it's collectible? It cost me $xxxx new .. is it really just trash now?, etc. Heck I've come close to tossing this phone system (large metal box that I think is a trunk) out several times, I'm just trying to think it or the cards might be useful to someone still but without the knowledge of what they are/were it's tough so it sits there getting ever so close to the door.

The problem scrappers have with collectors is they have no idea what a collector would want, and they go through Soooo much junk to make their money its not realy worth the effort to dig through it and call people to see if they want any of it. The only reason I got in good with a local scrapper is because I paid a decent amount over scrap, showed up consistantly and didn't bother him (just looked over the weeks junk and picked what I wanted), paid cash so he had lunch money for the week (the stuff sits until he has enough material to make a semi turck sized pickup worth it), and it was all as-is no warrenty BS. After a while he kind of figured out some stuff I liked and put it aside, and was realy happy when I started collecting old laptops since they seemed to be worthless to him in scrap value vs time to strip.

Well when you don't know what it is or aren't an enthusiast it's hard to realize you have something worth more than the metal vs the general population that would laugh and say it's a worthless piece of junk. But that's an interest idea for sure.. so ... rebellious! flirting with the enemy! j/k Be cool to get some cross posting similar to the CL thread where we could find things local to us at least.

Unlike computers if I saw an old rusted out car or truck which is apparently something car enthusiasts would jump on, I would certainly pass it up or think it was trash. It's that paranoia that feeds lots of the hoarding and anti-hoarding shows these days. Do I throw it out? What if it's rare? What if it's collectible? It cost me $xxxx new .. is it really just trash now?, etc. Heck I've come close to tossing this phone system (large metal box that I think is a trunk) out several times, I'm just trying to think it or the cards might be useful to someone still but without the knowledge of what they are/were it's tough so it sits there getting ever so close to the door.

That's true Bary, I think probably if it doesn't go to a personal collection, manufacturer/makers collection, or in your case maybe something to do with computer/telephone/telegraph/communications collection, it could well be headed for the junkpile. I have some items like that myself, but like you i'm fairly determined to at least try and find it a better home, rather than see it being recycled into cellphones ; ) At least parts of yours should be desirable to some few who collect? But if worse does come to worse at least these days there are outlets for computer/telecom boards that don't leave them having to be smuggled into a landfill somewhere. Before my last move I was faced with just such a dilemma, not knowing what i could possibly do with several hundred pounds of scrap computer boards, when no companies would take less than a truck load, and feeling relieved when i found a computer recycler who would just take them. Today that same pile would fetch a thousand dollars. Still now, it's a disappointment when i think of the computers i dismantled just trying to clean the place up, but at the time did all i knew to do in not leaving a pile of what was considered "toxic waste". I am glad for the parts i was able to save and make the move with (wish i had kept those boards too lol), but still i'm faced with the same question with them as you are with the phone box, what to do with it. They could be used in restoring vintage computers, which i would enjoy doing, even though i'm not an extremely skilled technician, and only learned what i know now by mostly trial and error. Good luck with your box man

The problem scrappers have with collectors is they have no idea what a collector would want, and they go through Soooo much junk to make their money its not realy worth the effort to dig through it and call people to see if they want any of it. The only reason I got in good with a local scrapper is because I paid a decent amount over scrap, showed up consistantly and didn't bother him (just looked over the weeks junk and picked what I wanted), paid cash so he had lunch money for the week (the stuff sits until he has enough material to make a semi turck sized pickup worth it), and it was all as-is no warrenty BS. After a while he kind of figured out some stuff I liked and put it aside, and was realy happy when I started collecting old laptops since they seemed to be worthless to him in scrap value vs time to strip.

That's true too K, i've thought about a thread they have there "local classified" and another one "more than scrap value" where it might be acceptable to post "wanted" items, with the hopes that somebody would take note, and let you know if/when they found one. Then you'd pretty much be at their mercy as to shipping etc.(always use usps postal money orders in those cases, for the extra protection that offers against any kind of fraud) The only time i've tried such a thing, i saw one guy there had some memory that nobody else wanted except for scrap price, and i sent him a message saying i was interested, and offered to buy them. That guy put them in the mail to me the next day, and soon as i had the return address i put the cash in an envelope and sent it right back to him. We were both happy about that deal! Some might want an arm and a leg tho, but i guess that exists in every crowd.

"Scrap and warehouse finds" are synonyms for items stored poorly. There is a point when what was once a computer is now scrap.

I actually could live with people describing stuff as "Scrap and warehouse find", it's when they describe this stuff as "used" that gets to me.
patscc

Back