• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Screenshots in System 7.6.1

vladstamate

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I've tried to take screenshots with Cmd+Shift+3 or Cmd+Shift+4 using either default System 7 (7.6.1) capabilities or Capture program and it creates files like "Picture 1", "Picture 2", etc. I can open them (and they look fine) with SimpleText. But, what format are they really? I would like to open them on Windows (or Linux or MacOSX for that matter). Do I really have to install Adobe Photoshop to convert them?

If I can open them without converting (on any modern OS) that would be good too.

Unfortunately I only have an Amiga 500 with no power supply :(. I REALLY want to find one, but alas not easy on eBay (or cheap).

It isn't hard to adapt an ATX power supply. Unfortunately though you either need a connector, or, connect power some other way.

But, your A500, with OS3.1, makes an excellent Mac support machine. You can even run MacOS on it, at the same time as AmigaOS.

But, what format are they really? I would like to open them on Windows (or Linux or MacOSX for that matter).

They are Macintosh PICT format. IIRC you need to pay attention to the resource fork as that's where the actual PICT data lives and this may cause you some headaches if you send them to a Windows or Linux system. OS X at least as recently as 10.6 can open them without conversion.

Yes I see what you mean, the PICT resource fork. So I will try to set up an ftp server on my MacOSX and transfer the files that way (although that might lose the resource fork).

UPDATE: yes that worked. Getting the files to a MacOSX (actually via a Linux FTP server) and then renaming them to .pict allowed me to open them using Preview. Thank you!

Back