• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Scuzzy SCSI

jharre

Experienced Member
In another discussion, I got the idea to add in a SCSI card and drive for my IBM PS/2 55SX. So, I found a card, cable, and drive - but now the configuration is making me think it is scuzzy, instead of SCSI.

The card is an Adaptec AHA-1640. The .adf configuration file was fairly easy to find and it loaded and then ran the automatic configuration. Upon reboot, I get this screen telling me that the "HOST ADAPTER IS NOT AT PORT SPECIFIED IN POS REGISTER". Huh?
IMG_20170215_171257845.jpg

So, I went back to the reference disk to look at the configuration. This is what it looks like. Nothing special from what I can tell (maybe that's the problem!)
IMG_20170215_170823037.jpg

Deciding to change the I/O Port address to see if it makes a difference, I dove into "Set Configuration" and then "Set and View SCSI device configuration". Oops! There is an error message that there are no SCSI adapters installed. What?
IMG_20170215_171009770.jpg

The AHA-1640 bios shows up at boot, and when I use "View Configuration" - but not when I try to make a change with "Set Configuration".

Now, I know that PS/2s and MCA machines in general can be kinda weird, but I'm stumped. Any suggestions? Anybody??

<*> Jim

The system isn't recognizing the card as being installed. That could be as simple as the slot having filled up with dust preventing the card from being fully seated. Clean the slot, check for damaged capacitors and reinstall the card.

I have the 1640 in my model 95. I have it in my system for the CD drive and external devices. If memory serves, the bios won't see it as a scsi card, but will automatically scan the bus every boot. I would have to play with the bios of the 55, but I would start with the bios address of the scsi card. it might be conflicting with another device.

On my model 70 with 1640, I disabled the BIOS as I'm using it for a zip drive and nothing bootable. Makes the system boot faster from the internal ESDI, and I can still load the DOS ASPI drivers and it works. You just change the BIOS address to disabled to disable the BIOS...

I got out the canned air this afternoon and gave the slot a few blasts per krebizfan. Fired it up and waited - when you have 8 MB on the planar and another 8 MB on the add-in card it is really s l o w to boot.

This time the SCSI BIOS signed on, told me it found drive C:, and was looking for SCSI drive zero. Of course, in my haste, I'd forgotten to plug the drive into the board. A quick power-down, reattach the cable, and power-up later it failed again several times in a row. Grrr. In retrospect, I should try slot 2 tomorrow to see if maybe the socket is bad on 3.

Adding SCSI to a DBA-ESDI system, how different

Adding SCSI to a DBA-ESDI system, how different

I've been distracted for a bit and apologize for not responding earlier.

The Adaptec AHA-1640 is not an IBM SCSI adapter and it will not show up under Set and View SCSI Devices.

Further, the SCSI adapter will come up AFTER the DBA-ESDI drive.

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/misc/ESDI.html#Intergrated_HD_ESDI

The suggestion to disable the BIOS is most likely the winner.

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/SCSI/AHA-1640.html

Oh, Adaptec expects a SCSI HD at either ID0 or ID1, don't put a CDROM there.

IBM implemented the ANSI SCSI standard, controller at ID7, HD at ID6 and lower, with tapes and CDs at 0 or 1.
Adaptec and just about everyone else controller at ID7, HDs at ID0 or ID1, and low prority stuff higher....

Last edited:
I've been distracted for a bit and apologize for not responding earlier.

The Adaptec AHA-1640 is not an IBM SCSI adapter and it will not show up under Set and View SCSI Devices.

Further, the SCSI adapter will come up AFTER the DBA-ESDI drive.

Thanks for that info, ardent-blue. That explains why the Reference Disk keeps telling me that there isn't an adapter in the machine.

I'd picked up another AHA-1640 thinking that perhaps the one I have is defective. Turns out I was looking at the wrong end of the cable - the drive I was using "has issues". The bottom of the parts box yielded an old drive from a Mac that seems to work.

My next step is to get it working with DOS on the 55SX. I'm guessing that's what these "ASPI" files are for. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to boot from the SCSI drive (the original purpose was to have a way to boot the PS/2 when the ESDI eventually dies). Even better, it would be nice to boot and run from a "silicon SCSI" drive like this one: http://store.inertialcomputing.com/SCSI2SD-p/scsi2sd-v5b.htm

<*> Jim

Even better, it would be nice to boot and run from a "silicon SCSI" drive like this one: http://store.inertialcomputing.com/SCSI2SD-p/scsi2sd-v5b.htm <*> Jim

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/IBM_SCSI/IBM_SCSI2SD.html

Chulofiasco got a v5 SCSI2SD to pop in his 95 AND it accepts a convenience partition. Not that the 55SX needs that, but it shows compatibility.

Not having a 55SX, nor having anyone try this yet...

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/SCSI/MCS.html

This is the IBM SCSI-2 Fast adapter, OEMd by Future Domain (MCS-700). It does not have a molex drive connector, but Chulofiasco shows that Termpower is enough to drive the SCSI2SD.

Using an IBM manufactured SCSI controller won't do you any better. The Tribble and all Spock variants are 5MHz, and the v5 SCSI2SD is also 5MHz. Beats out the DBA-ESDI drive, though.

It is unclear, but unlikely that the Corvette will work in a 55SX. In addition, that is a 16 bit system, so shoehorning in a 32 bit card will result in it loosing half it's speed.

Look at the Patriot and SCSI2SD. It may be possible to do this in a system that allows an internal CD-ROM

SCSI adapter ----- SCSI2SD, term removed ------ CD Rom, term enabled

The HPDB50 port on the Patriot is far better supported than the C60 / C68 of an IBM SCSI adapter. The only downside to the Patriot is that the TERMENA jumper needs to be moved to add or remove an external drive. BUT... external terminators for HPDB50 are quite common, so leaving TERMENA open, but have a external terminator, is a fair trade.

Last edited:
Back