• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Seeking out a ZZT game..

Raven

Veteran Member
I'm relatively certain that the first video game I ever played was ZZT, in 1991 or some such (I was born 1990). I do not, however, know what "game" of ZZT it was, since it was more of a game building platform than a game, really.

What I remember is this:

I played it on a laptop, and it was monochrome (probably the laptop, not the game doing this). Your character had a light radius around it, and there were torches of some kind to expand this. You were wandering around a labrynth under these conditions, seeing the walls you were close to. The character was one of those smiley ASCII chars, and the walls were, I think, the checkerboard-dithered full-block characters (can't be 100% sure on that). I don't remember any more details.

Anybody have any idea? I'd love to know what it was, see it again, have a copy, etc. At some point I'll dig through the disks we have with ZZT on them, but I remember we were borrowing the laptop from someone at the time, so I doubt we own the copy of whatever ZZT game it was.. :(

Thanks.

I'm relatively certain that the first video game I ever played was ZZT, in 1991 or some such (I was born 1990). I do not, however, know what "game" of ZZT it was, since it was more of a game building platform than a game, really.

What I remember is this:

I played it on a laptop, and it was monochrome (probably the laptop, not the game doing this). Your character had a light radius around it, and there were torches of some kind to expand this. You were wandering around a labrynth under these conditions, seeing the walls you were close to. The character was one of those smiley ASCII chars, and the walls were, I think, the checkerboard-dithered full-block characters (can't be 100% sure on that). I don't remember any more details.

Anybody have any idea? I'd love to know what it was, see it again, have a copy, etc. At some point I'll dig through the disks we have with ZZT on them, but I remember we were borrowing the laptop from someone at the time, so I doubt we own the copy of whatever ZZT game it was.. :(
I'm afraid that all the stuff you describe is standard ZZT mechanics, so it's not much help in differentiating. (The monochrome is a selectable operating mode of the program.) That said, I'd bet that it's probably Town of ZZT, the included game world.

Good stuff, that :)

Seconded... best bet - go search for ZZT on a shareware archive (I use the SimTel ones). It was probably one of the two (?) shareware versions anyways (ISTR there being two trilogies, so 2 shareware versions).

Also... if you really like these kinds of games, ZZT was a knock-off of the Kroz series from Apogee, which in turn was a knock-off of the old Rogue games.

Caves of Thor, also from Apogee, utilized similar mechanics, graphics, and gameplay.

If you've access to underground gamer, check out the full Apogee torrent - a LOT of fantastic stuff in that one. All the ZZTs are probably also around there somewhere.

Also - just for the record... ZZT was not originally meant to be a world-building game, though a level editor was included, and most fans quickly got into making their own maps, which IIRC, made up the bulk of "Best of ZZT" release.

Last edited:
Seconded... best bet - go search for ZZT on a shareware archive (I use the SimTel ones). It was probably one of the two (?) shareware versions anyways (ISTR there being two trilogies, so 2 shareware versions).
I think you're thinking of Super ZZT, which was mostly the same, but ran in 40x25 mode and had large scrolling areas instead of flipping between 80x25 "boards."

Back