• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Selling really old (1994-95) Autodesk stuff on ebay - suicide?

Bit of a nuclear one, though. :D

And the reason it wouldn't still be valid today is...

Well, it predates Vernor v. Autodesk, which established the current state of the law. That said, it should still work but you'd have to set up an LLC (cost ~$450), have the LLC buy the software, then sell the LLC.

Not really practicable, in most cases, but it might be worth considering for anybody who is contemplating buying some really, really expensive software anyway. At least you'd be able to resell it, once you were done with it.

LLC???

Why???

A business license where I live currently sells for $50!!!

And, in that primitive state where you live there are some cities and towns that don't even charge a fee to set up a business! :)

...or just donate it to the salvation army and take the fair market price deduction. That could be where I might have bought a copy of AC2000 that may have come with the codes all written down, hypothetically.
;-)

I think the "offer it free with something else option" is the simplest. Also if you did a short auction, they probably wont have time to do anything. I am NOT a lawyer, so have no idea whats legal or not. If it were me, I'd have put it on eBay totally oblivious to that court case. If they asked me to take it off eBay, I would just comply.

In the meantime you could upload the disk images to archive.org. If only out of spite:) archive.org have DMCA exemption exactly for this reason. "Internet Archive Gets DMCA Exemption To Help Archive Vintage Software" see:

https://archive.org/about/dmca.php

Weird, you cant sell it but you can copy it and make it publicly available. Also wasn't there a court case recently that set a new precedent for the first-sale rule? Something about some guy buying something from outside the USA at a much cheaper price. The company sued and lost. Sorry I cant be more specific, I don't really keep up with this stuff.

I think the "offer it free with something else option" is the simplest.
Interesting idea. Or at least just mix it in with a lot.
Really, if there is real concern about it just put a disclaimer in the description stating that the sale will not transfer license or support. Then show in the pictures that everything needed to run it is there (if that is truly the case)

And the reason it wouldn't still be valid today is...
*Facepalm*
Because we are now talking about a different class of software.

While it is not 100% clear from the linked post, it sounded like they were trying to sell their copy FOR ACTUAL USE. At the time that might have raked in some big bucks and lost Autodesk a new product sale. While Autodesk would have been wrong for preventing the sale of a physical item, a buyer could have gotten very badly burned if they thought they could obtain support or official licensing.

In this case chances are virtually nill that anyone is going to try to create a production design using DOS or Windows 3.1. More likely a buyer would put it up on a pedestal or just derp around with it.

Anyway, it really burns my butt when someone suggests there are issues selling vintage software media, because that is simply not true. It makes me sick to think that somewhere someone might just trash the last copy of some rare program because they think they might get in to trouble selling it.

Practically speaking, it is A-OK to sell old software media and it is done all the time. Licenses and support - if there are any - may or may not transfer. Buyers of vintage software do not expect these, yet are still very interested in the physical media.

LLC???

Why???

A business license where I live currently sells for $50!!!

And, in that primitive state where you live there are some cities and towns that don't even charge a fee to set up a business! :)

Because an LLC is a legal entity that is capable of both owning and being owned. With a business license, the software is still "owned" (or licensed) by an individual person, who can not be sold (see the 13th amendment).

So, the dodge only works if the initial purchase is made by an LLC (or a corporation, or some other legal entity that is capable of both owning and being owned).

Incidentally, Toyota is moving all of their US operations to our "primitive state". When we moved here, we had 50 states to choose from. We didn't land in Texas by accident. :)

...or just donate it to the salvation army and take the fair market price deduction. That could be where I might have bought a copy of AC2000 that may have come with the codes all written down, hypothetically.
;-)

Be careful. The part of the tax code that establishes the fair market price deduction explicitly excludes thrift stores. All that you can legally take is the basis deduction.

Here's how the story plays out... I have sealed retail copies from US disty of the day,and it listed on eBay. I installed a copy at home, but after following the crumbs down the rabbit hole, I decided to unlist it. I'm almost positive no ebuyer would entertain the persistance and id end up with a return request.

The package comes with the CD and a personilization floppy disk. I made a copy of the floppy and continued with the install. While flipping through the documentation, there were a few notices about having to obtain some kind of additional key from Autodesk.

Armed with the instructions and my serial number, I called in. I spoke to quite a few representatives. They all told me my serial number was invalid.

They opened a case. I sent photos of eveything.

Eventually, after vollys of emails, my invalid serial number became a valid serial number and they wanted a proof of purchase.

After sending in records from disti and more photos, they told me they would get back to me.

They finally did -- one day, I was minding my own business and I received a new message:

Dear Lorenzo,

Hello from Autodesk!

Once again, we are very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. We escalated your concern to our experts and upon further investigation, we were able to identify that serial number is a valid Autodesk license.

They provided the access code, and i was able to install it on my machine. They were also very quick to offer additional assistance should i need.

It was not easy and took a lot of persitence. It literally took a month.

I wouldn't mind a legit copy of AutoCAD 12 or 13. The problem with buying those old apps is getting them installed legally (install codes, dongles, etc). It is easier to buy a boxed copy just for the documentation and use warez for install.

Back