• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

serial card into a model 4 -connector problems

Iainjh

Hello

I have a model 4, non gate array and want to add a serial card to it. I have a card (thanks to TheCorfiot and Ian)

But unfortunately find the card's ribbon ends in a number of distinct flat /separate metal 'fingers', not the flat cable I was expecting.

My motherboard's female plug connectors are more obviously 'flat' one piece ribbon connectors.. similar that you might find in an atari or spectrum keyboard

see the pic.

uh oh.

so .. is this a hopeless situation? Theres no way those beyond finding someone skilled (TC) to swap connectors, or look for a different card? surely that thin pronged type cant also fit that same connector?

TIA for any help or advice. Iain

FullSizeRender.jpg

edit - also the power 4 way is female, presumably just need to whip that off and swap it for a male.

are all model 3 serial cards usable on a model 4 as I thought??

Iain,
YES, that is the correct cable. It's easy to insert the cable into the connector. Locate yourself an ordinary wooden pencil.

Carefully roll the thin ribbon cable around the wooden pencil, such that about 3/8" of the cable with pins protrude past the pencil.
Then just place the pins into the connector as you push on the pencil and the ribbon cable until it's inserted properly.
You can double check both sides are even in the connector and look at the other Ribbon cable on the Motherboard to see
how deep the pins are inserted. You will feel it slide into the connector.

Use the Pencil trick to remove the cables too. ZIT ZOT! DONE!

If I remember correctly the RS-232C Board uses a small 4 Pin Female connector, as the RS-232C Board has Male Pins sticking up
at the top Right of the Board.

As far as I know, they will work in either machine. But, I could be wrong. I forget.

Larry

Last edited:
I think I remember that board, its an aftermarket RS232, and those pins do fit into the motherboard, though somewhat awkwardly. Get the angle square and push and they will go in.

Re. the power connector, make sure you get the pins right by testing the voltages after you change the end. Or get TC.

Cheers,

Ian.

Back