• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Shinobi Disk with no executable?

GrandPoobah

Experienced Member
I got a Sega Shinobi disk off eBay and it has no bloody executable on it!

It has 3 files on it, two of which i assume are compressed since this is a 5.25 DD disk and a copy I downloaded has a total filesize of about 600k

SHINO1.TZF
SHINO2.TZF
DI6.QPZ

The MS-DOS label is "SEGA HITS", but the sticker says Shinobi, MS-DOS. Its not a booter, and the disk seems free from errors.

I'm wondering if this is from some compilation and I need the first disk to extract it? Any ideas?

You're 100% correct: It was a part of the Arcade Smash Hits Compilation, and the installation program is on another disk. You have a few options:

1. Try to get the other disks in the compilation to find the installation program
2. Use the copy you downloaded
3. Reformat the disk and use it for something else, as the DOS version of Shinobi is very disappointing

A long time ago I copied this, but I have no idea if I kept the copied disks or not. The individual games in the collection are easy enough to find individually on the 'net.

If you have a Genesis just get it for that. PC versions of Sega arcade games tended to be bad.

It was a part of the Arcade Smash Hits Compilation, and the installation program is on another disk.

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up! I was going to try to put a download of the game on the disk but it’s obviously too big in its uncompressed form. Maybe I could use a bat file & self extracting archive to fake my own installer that will fit.

Yeah I know this port is trash. Sometimes it’s fun to play a crap game just for camp appeal. But yeah... this one is so painful. I think I’ll force my kids to play it for a laugh.

You should install the Shinobi disk from Alien Syndrom disk by INSTALL.EXE.

Sega Arcade Hits consist the following.

After Bunner --> 2ea of 5.25" 360KB disks.
Alien Syndrome --> 1ea of 5.25" 360KB disk with INSTALL.EXE
Out Run --> 1ea of 5.25" 360KB disk
Shinobi --> 1ea of 5.25" 360KB disk
Thunder Blade --> 1ea of 5.25" 360KB disk

shinobi pc

shinobi pc

For it´s time shinobi wasnt that bad if you only have a pc with cga (like me).
Other ports of shinobi were awful, the only one and for me the best it´s the c64 one.
Besides that, only the master system and pc engine versions are the closest to the original arcade.
Try to install that floppy with an "abandon" copy from internet and save it.
Just the disk with the original files is worth it i.m.h.o. ofc.

Regards.

Back