• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SIDER II Terminator Plug

jodyspencer

Hello.. With A bunch of Apple Stuff I got A SIDER II hard drive and Card..When I initially tested it it worked fine.. but as I was working with it the drive itself became unplugged. After restarting the Apple IIe and drive .. Now It dosn't boot I tried the Installation Process and the card seems to pass but it says the drive failed to start up fast enough.. And after Researching it on the WEB I discovered The Terminator was missing.(before I didn't know it needed one). Does anyone know about the SIDER and how to Troubleshoot it and where to get A terminator plug or how to make one or a Schematic ..And possibly what kind of drives are in these in case I need to Replace,,,I am a fairly decent self taught Electronics Tech Thanks In Advance Mike

I figure Not Parking the drives probably caused the problem.. And I am thinking not having a Terminator in place is causing the circuitry not to recognize the drive?? I have found out how to create my own Terminator,, But Can't be sure which cable I have,, a SASI or a SCSI? so I can see the pinouts to know how to make the
Terminator..

Each terminated signal is connect by:
> * 220 Ohm to +5 volt (TERMPW)
> * 330 Ohm to ground.
> The 18 signal that are terminated are:
> I/O, Req, C/D, Sel, Msg, Rst, Ack, Bsy, Atn, DB(p), DB(7) ... DB(0)

But I need to know Where these are on the Female connector on the back of the drive..

And If you can only use the disks once Where can I get New Disks To download,, And HOW can I get them on my CFFA card It is already to go with with Dos on it..

Mike

Thanks for the replies so far... This is what I have Found out so far... The SIDER drive I have has a DB-37/DC-37 cable pinout and from all the reading I have done its a SASI cable an early SCSI-1 .. The main board in the Drive housing is A SASI to MFM converter board called a bridge,,,After taking it apart I found a NEC5126 MFM drive,, which has 4 heads and 615 cylinders..

I removed it and put in into a IBM 5160 And tried to FDISK and format it and It would not even pick it up.. So I had a Known Good ST-412 I set the pins on it as Drive one.. and hooked it to the SIDER II cables as the ST-412 is a full height drive .. then ran the Installation On the apple IIe it pass all test and tried to do the install but the software is preset for a drive having 4 head and 615 cylinders.. 20megs.. the ST-412 is only a 10meg and 306 cylinders .. it gave an too small and to many bad sectors errors..

So I assume the D5126 orginal drive is toast.. as it will not work in the IBM or the SIDER and My Question now is As the D5126 is rather hard to find and then expensive .. QUESTION...Can I use a SST-225 as it has the same 4 head and 615 cylinders??...

I have also found Both the Controller card Eprom file and the Bridge card Eprom file. to burn into 2732 eproms.. Icould upload them somewhere for someone in the future,, Also the Controller Card Schematic .. giving me the pinouts I need to create A terminator plug..

Geeze, that 37 pin connector is just a weird number of pins. I looked everywhere for a 37 pin SCSI terminator with no luck.

If you look for the XEBEC terminator, you will find references as to how to make your own. For example, http://macgui.com/usenet/?group=1&id=207024

I suspect there are a few XEBEC terminators out there, mostly already attached to SASI enclosures. I have no idea if the 37-pin external floppy terminator can be used as a replacement.

Back