• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

silicon graphics prices

That's funny. I'm picturing someone with an Octane under their desk, their feet on the Octane, with a blanket over them. hah.
Close, but not quite, for my feet I turn on my IBM POWER which gives a silent none offensive slow heat output around my feet. The Octanes are defiantly for ambience general heat around the room, since they are mostly above ground level.

Any tips on removing scratches from O2 and Octane cases?

Try tooth paste and a tooth brush. If that isn't aggressive enough sprinkle some abrasives in the past. Sears does or used to sell these sticks,, white, rouge, and brown, in a package. You would rub the stick ob sandpaper or a file to reduce it to a powder. The different colors represent different degrees of course.

I had the Octane running in a small office, not a tiny one but definitely a one-man office. With a CCT drive, but that one didn't emit noticable heat compared to the Octane. This was in a Norwegian winter, and the room went up to 30C really fast. Had to run it with windows open. Definitely more heat than I've observed from any quad Intel PC I've tried.. I have one of those in my own office, after all.
But the Octanes are great machines. I have one set off for me if I ever decide to bring one home after all. And I have an offer of getting an Octane 2 as well. We'll see. Right now there's no space.. why aren't we all born with unlimited storage space?

-Tor

Try tooth paste and a tooth brush. If that isn't aggressive enough sprinkle some abrasives in the past. Sears does or used to sell these sticks,, white, rouge, and brown, in a package. You would rub the stick ob sandpaper or a file to reduce it to a powder. The different colors represent different degrees of course.

Wow, thanks for the tooth paste tip! I used it to touch up some minor spots on my IMPACT10000 Indigo2 - worked like a charm! I have to say (to the OP) that as slow as it is compared to modern PCs, I have a lot more fun playing around with my SGI. It's great for programming, running older games (like Quake) and the 4D window manager is just plain slick. I don't really do anything productive with it, as a hobbyist I never intended to. My grandson, however, has made some really cool computer animation short videos with the Maya5 package that was already installed on it when I bought it. Cheers,
Tux

P.S.
As far as price, I picked up the Indigo for about $60 in a computer electronics store's going out of business sale. I also had to pick up a 13w3 to vga adapter at the same store for a buck.

Last edited:
Back