• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Site reskin/update

deathshadow

Veteran Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
1,358
In preparation for launching Paku Paku 2.0 I've reskinned my website to be less "harsh" and updated the back end code a bit.

Deathshadow's Madness

Just interested in people's reaction to the reskin. I went with C64-ish colours as the starting point, which should be way better than the bright blues I put up there as a joke (in response to complaints about my use of green being too dark) that sat there for far, FAR too long.

Changes on the back-end include disqus for discussions -- it's a cheap sleazy shortcut but gets the job done for now. Mostly I went with them as they are one of the few that actually will export to XML so you can integrate existing posts into other systems in the future. Was unable to get the "comment count" working and after some 6 hours of banging my head against the wall went "screw it" and just put normal links in.

The responsive layout code was updated to my "modern" approach of handling it. The site SHOULD adjust properly to just about any screen size, and is built elastic, semi-fluid and responsive so it will obey your default font-size if you are using something other than the default VGA/Small/96dpi/100%/16px/whateverTheyreCallingItThisWeek. Likewise it should have fully functioning graceful degradation for images off, CSS off, or a combination of both -- which combined with actual semantic markup should mean it's also fully functional on screen readers and should index well for the search engines.

There's also been some BIG changes behind the scenes that will make creation of site updates far, far simpler... which I'm hoping will mean I'll be making update more often than every two years. :p

So, opinions? Rants? Rip me a new one, I can take it. If I can't take it, I have no business dishing it out like I do. Even if it seems like I'm ignoring your advice or arguing with it, THAT'S THE POINT. I still want to hear it -- ripping things to shreds is how we build them up better!
 
Last edited:

3pcedev

Veteran Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2014
Messages
730
Location
Australia
No way! - I downloaded Paku Paku about 3 years ago for an exhibition at work. We needed a game that was free, able to be played by kids walking past (wasn't complex or overly time consuming) and wasn't offensive. It also had to run on a solar powered Raspberry Pi which further complicated things as nobody really writes 'simple' games for it. Pacman came up right away but using the Konami version through MAME wasn't acceptable due to copyright.

I ended up finding Paku Paku which I ran on the Raspberry Pi using DosBox. The most difficult part was that the default names on the splash screen were deemed slightly offensive.... I ended up going through the source code, changed them and then had to learn how to recompile a Pascal program. All worked out well in the end and I still have the machine sitting here for the next exhibition we run.
 

deathshadow

Veteran Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
1,358
Hah, my bad. Thought it was still in my signature.

WAIT, no... I copy-pasted from another post, IT WAS IN THAT POST -- where did it go?



Did that work? (I'll laugh if it doesn't -- malfing vBulleshit)

I'll try it with the URL tag...

Deathshadow's Madness

Ok, why won't this copy of vBull let me post JUST the URL or the bbcode URL with the URL inside it?!?
 

deathshadow

Veteran Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
1,358
Ok, see that gap between "go?" and "did that work"? The URL was there! What the deuce?
 

deathshadow

Veteran Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
1,358
I ended up going through the source code, changed them and then had to learn how to recompile a Pascal program.
Another reason I like including the source code... You'll like this new version, as I'm providing a batch file to build it from the command line in DOSBox. All you'll need to do is make sure NASM and TP7 are in your system path. It will assemble and recompile everything. I also make it delete all the existing .obj and .tpu just to be 100% sure it's a clean copy.

The new version is broken into far, FAR more separate files in multiple directories -- which actually makes it easier to figure out where things are. I'm even moving text constants into their own files so that it's easier to change things like those texts you edited, as well as to provide the possibility of making language specific releases.
 
Top