• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Six ThinkPad 701C "netbooks"

EverythingIBM

Experienced Member
A very gracious fellow sold me six ThinkPad 701C netbooks (they are all 75 Mhz 486ers):
1546258_253495598162625_1221820216_n.jpg

I've waited for a good handful of years to get one. Sometimes you have to wait for the right moment.

I'm presently documenting all of the hardware: and I also got resource CDs and the diskettes. I plan to upload the ISOs and diskette images and write some good documentation for these machines: as the whole internet lacks proper information and resources.

--> I'm sure there's a lot of 701C owners who don't have access to the driver CD, or the OS reinstall CD. I didn't even know such things existed. So I will be posting ALL of these resources and compiling extensive documentation. Seriously, there's a huge gap of knowledge when it comes to these. No one mentions anything about the cool hardware inside.

Two of them are in non-working working condition, but these will be restored with the new systemboards I was also given (that is-- if I can't fix the existing guts).

I will also document the repair process with photos and such (once my tools arrive).

Unfortunately the batteries for these thinkpads have long since corroded and were discarded. If anyone has 701C intact batteries that I can rebuild (or if you want one rebuilt), send me a PM. I may have to just build my own batteries from scratch.
Feel free to PM me if you need any 701C resources as well.

Stay tuned for extensive 701C information and photos. I've already learned things about these systems after having them in person that no one talks about. I want to share as much information as I can.

These are going to be so much fun to use once I finish all of the repairs. I love computers with real FM chips.

Did you happen to get any extra screens? I have a working 701c and a 701cs that needs a new screen. The original CD images would be nice to have. You will probably need to desolder the internal BIOS battery and install a new one, let me know if you need help locating them. The main battery tended to leak blue crystals inside the machines so you might have to clean that crud off (not as bad as it sounds).

Did you happen to get any extra screens? I have a working 701c and a 701cs that needs a new screen. The original CD images would be nice to have. You will probably need to desolder the internal BIOS battery and install a new one, let me know if you need help locating them. The main battery tended to leak blue crystals inside the machines so you might have to clean that crud off (not as bad as it sounds).

I don't have any spare LCD screens unfortunately (they're probably the least common spare 701C part from what I've been able to determine). If any of the 701s can't be repaired for some reason and I end up with a spare LCD, I'll let you know.

--> yep I found the batteries, I've got some loose boards that I was able to look over.

Only one of the thinkpads has some blue crystals. It still works fine. I'm going to be taking out all of their system boards to solder in a new battery, replace the 330uF/25v nichicon near the power regulation, and clean up the crystals with some coca cola: finally found a reason to buy coca cola hahaha.

I'll send you a PM with the ISOs once I have them uploaded to my website, do you need the diskette images too?

I always like those butterfly keyboards. Nice machines.

The keyboard has a set of unusual pros and cons actually.
First I like that the base is metal to the point where you can't deform it easily (not common on laptop keyboards these days). However, the keyboards use rubber cups much like the Model M4-1s! And I noticed the consistency of the soft rubber is starting to show its age. It looks like the rubber can become stiff without use and garner a "gritty" feeling.

--> the rubber cups on the M4-1 keyboards are prone to having to be replaced frequently if under constant use.

Of course the good thing is, the rubber cups on the keytronic 701C keyboards can be replaced (much like the M4-1). But finding or creating a replacement will be the hard part. No one manufacturers rubber cups for either keyboards.

And ironically, like the Model M, the keytronic 701C keyboards use melted rivets. Ohhh melted rivets...

Back