• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SlimLine IDE Drive Adapters for LS-240 SuperDisk drives

Shadow Lord

Veteran Member
Hello All,

Anyone have any experience with slimline IDE adapters?

I have a couple LS240 drives but in the slimline model (LKM-FH34-5). I have tried a number of slimline to regular IDE adapters and when I connect power to them the adapter just lets out the magic smoke. Are all slimline drives wired the same? Anyone have familiarity with LS-240 drives? TIA!

I've successfully used these slimline adapters; but indeed, I'm sure that not all the drive pinouts are the same. As a rule of thumb, always check where are wired the ground and power lines in the drive, if they're not the same as in your adapater, you'll get that magic smoke for sure.
Never tried with LS-240 drives tho, they look extremely cool!, if you want to get rid of one of them...;-)

Wow...that is scary. I would have assumed it was standard IDE! I've got one here in a Compaq laptop housing, I had planned on adapting it into a normal drive bay so I could hook it up...but I may have to re-think that plan if it's just going to get fried. :-( I'll have to dig it out and see if the model number matches yours...

Thanks,

Wesley

I fried an IDE to slimline IDE adapter combined with a slimline LS120 drive. After smoke show, i discovered that pinouts of slimline LS120 (and probably LS240's too) drives are different than standard slimline IDE cdrom connectors. In my case, power and ground pins of the adapter were both going to ground pins on LS120 drive and shorted instantly when i powered the PC on with smoke and burned +5V trace on adapter PCB. I guess that the drive is still good but since i dont know the correct pinout except power and ground pins, i couldn't checked it anymore.

I fried an IDE to slimline IDE adapter combined with a slimline LS120 drive. After smoke show, i discovered that pinouts of slimline LS120 (and probably LS240's too) drives are different than standard slimline IDE cdrom connectors. In my case, power and ground pins of the adapter were both going to ground pins on LS120 drive and shorted instantly when i powered the PC on with smoke and burned +5V trace on adapter PCB. I guess that the drive is still good but since i dont know the correct pinout except power and ground pins, i couldn't checked it anymore.

Well, that explains a lot! I wonder if there is a cable that works with the SuperDisk drives.

I could find neither any adapter cable nor pinout of the superdisk drive. If we know just the correct pinout, we can build a 40-pin to 40-pin with re-arranged wiring adapter easily and combine it with a standard IDE to slim-ide adapter.

Back