• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Small computer exhibit in Sweden

Zeela

Experienced Member
A local museum got in contact with me a while ago, about making an exhibit of of home computers from the late 70's and 80's.

Now we have worked everything out and the exhibit started this weekend.
The museum is Åssamuseet in Åtvidaberg (Sweden). (http://www.assamuseet.se)

I got somewhere around 10 square meters of space to display any computers I saw fit. So I picked out 25 computers and now they are on display until the middle of august. Might even be longer, we haven't decided yet.

So if you are passing by Östergötland in Sweden this summer, you should make a stop in Åtvidaberg. The opening hours can be found on the website mentioned above.

Here's a rather lousy photo of the exhibit:

And when you're already at the museum, be sure to check out their awesome collection of mechanical calculators. The museum even has some nice old cars on display. Most noteworthy would be "Åtvidabergsbilen", a car made in 1911. There were only 11 cars made and one of them are fully functional and on display in the museum. Yes, it's the car in the background on the photo above.

Well, back on topic ;) The computers I picked were:
Atari: 800 XL, Portfolio, 520 STFM
Commodore: Amiga 500, C128, C64, C64c, SX-64, VIC-20
Luxor: ABC 80, ABC 800, ABC 802, ABC 806, ABC 1600
Sinclair: ZX80, ZX81, ZX Spectrum, QL
Video Technology: Laser 200, Laser VZ 200
Micsc: Dragon 32, Jupiter ACE, Alice 4K, SEGA (Yeno) SC-3000, Sord M5

That's a pretty impressive museum, especially for a relatively small city. Nice computer display you have there too - well done!
Yes, it's a quite impressive museum. Beside my exhibit, all things on display are manufactured locally or by companies with their HQ here.
Åtvidaberg isn't relatively small, it IS small :) About 11.500 people in the whole municipality and I'd guess around 6.500-7.000 in the "town".

Good one. I hope to show off my computers to others one day.
It's been a dream of mine for a while now. It feels good that I finally got the chance to display some of my computers to the public, at least for a short time.

It's nice that other people than me and you guys appreciate the old computers and their historical value. Or at least the nostalgia around them.

Åtvidaberg isn't relatively small, it IS small About 11.500 people in the whole municipality and I'd guess around 6.500-7.000 in the "town".
Hehe.. I live in a place that has 100 people and we have one stop sign. Backwoods BC is still pretty close to the "wild west". The nearest "town" is under 3000 and it has several stop signs but is not even remotely big enough to have traffic lights. Yes, I looked up Åtvidaberg and knew its size when I made that comment. :) Canada is a very different place. Over here, a town as big (or small) as Åtvidaberg would not be able to collect the tax dollars to put up a museum of any note and would be a cultural black hole. :p

It might be interesting to point out that Åtvidaberg used to have a fairly big computing industry in terms of Facit. Another company called Luxor had their headquarters in Motala, not very far away. Basically that region during the 1960's to mid 1980's was a centre of computer industry.

wow, quite a coincidence :) I went to Åtvidaberg to celebrate midsummer with my family. My uncle Olle does some charity for the museum and took me on the tour (knowing that I like old computers). I took some pictures of your collection and also of the Facit micro computer.

One of my favourites in your collection is the unix-ABC (sorry for the crappy picture)

DSC00022.JPG

If I had more time (and remembered that you come from Åtvidaberg) it would have been nice to meet you.

So it's you that Olle has mentioned... He told me that he has a relative that collects computers. It's a small world after all :)

If you pass by Åtvid again just drop me a PM, or something. It's always nice to meet people with the same interests as one self.

And this invite is good for anyone from this forum that happens to find them self in the vicinity of Åtvidaberg.

Back