• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

So, I found one of these "clicky-key" keyboards. Are they really so valuable?

This talk of $100.00 Model Ms reminds me: I've got a model M and an 84-key original IBM PC/XT keyboard; anybody want 'em and if so, what are they worth to ya?

This talk of $100.00 Model Ms reminds me: I've got a model M and an 84-key original IBM PC/XT keyboard; anybody want 'em and if so, what are they worth to ya?

There are a million varieties of Model M, so I suggest you post a picture. As for the 84-key, seeing as you said XT and not AT, I assume it's a Model F - yes? I'm not interested, as I've already got one and nothing to use it on, but MAYBE the Model M.

I just sold my black model M keyboard on ebay for 100 bucks. Personally I don't see what the big deal about them is (other than being black). It just didn't have the same sturdy feel to it as my model Ms from the late 80s and early 90s (it was made by Maxiswitch for IBM). Plus as somebody else mentioned, the key paint doesn't hold up very well either. I noticed it starting to happen on the right shift key, so I figured it was a good time to ditch it.

There are a million varieties of Model M, so I suggest you post a picture. As for the 84-key, seeing as you said XT and not AT, I assume it's a Model F - yes? I'm not interested, as I've already got one and nothing to use it on, but MAYBE the Model M.
A million varieties? As many as that?
Were there 84-key IBM keyboards for the AT?

Hmm... so I gotta paint it to get the big bucks? Gloss or semi-gloss?

Oil-base or latex?

Has anyone done a serious study of computer color fads. In the 50s, gray was it; the 60s brought in bright colors (that wonderful orange-red you'd see on some IBM and Honeywell gear), then blue. I always liked the fake wood-grain of early 70s CDC mainframes (7600, Cyber 70). Then beige, white, now black. TV sets went through a silver phase and audio gear had the brushed metallic look.

Will green or purple be the next big PC color? I hate black, myself. No character.

TV sets went through a silver phase and audio gear had the brushed metallic look.
"home entertainment" "electronics" products go thru the wood grain, black, gray ({cough}"silver"{/cough}) looks cycle at least once every decade. so long as the lcd panel remains indecipherable and the remotes difficulty to use, the mfrs are happy.

Back