• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Software for Windows 1.0

But does it run Windows 1.x software? After all that is what this thread is about is'nt it? Or at least that was the intention of the OP I gather.

Last edited:
ibm model 25 Collegiate Kit was Windows 1.04. Worked great software suite including Write and Paint. Add Procomm Plus. All you need.

...Whitewater Actor;...

Was there actually a version of Actor for Windows 1?

There are some magazine photos of an early version running under Windows 2. I have the disks and manuals for Actor version 3, but that only runs under Windows 3.x or later.

There were also a handful of freeware/shareware tools and games for Windows 1.x.

Actually, here is a brand new game for Windows 1: WineMine for Windows 1.x/2.x

While we're derailing the thread, here's my question: What about topview? Anyone ever use that? How does it compare to DESQVIEW?

Winmine runs as a dialog box and those always floated above other windows in MS Windows.

The tiling system in Windows 1.x can be credited to Scott McGregor who worked at Xerox before MS and Windows 1.x follows one of the Xerox design concepts with tiled windows running above a line of icons representing running but minimized applications. Other windows for dialog boxes and menus can be displayed can be placed in front of the tiled windows. Has some advantages especially when multitasking on very slow hardware but wasn't exactly liked.

I remember there were a few utilities to force Win 2.x into running with Win 1.x tiled windows. I think those were wrappers around a single API call though a quick glance at the Win 2 API reference didn't remind me how to do it. I don't believe anyone tweaked the Win 1.x code base into overlapping windows only.

While we're derailing the thread, here's my question: What about topview? Anyone ever use that? How does it compare to DESQVIEW?

DesqView is an enhanced TopView clone. If programming a compatible program, TopView required that a program save a number of registers and other values before transferring control to TopView. DesqView automatically handled all that housekeeping when programs release CPU back to DesqView. DesqView made numerous small patches (referred to as loaders) for standard DOS programs to better handle context switching. DesqView added support for EMS allowing more programs to be loaded into memory at the same time. Then DesqView got support for the 386 and V86 mode which improved multitasking a lot.

Basically, TopView will handle a limited set of good behaving DOS programs and programs designed for TopView but the memory is so tight that multitasking is difficult. DesqView handles everything TopView does but better and can also deal with many poorly behaved and graphical programs that cause problems for TopView.

Back in 1989/90 I was writing C code Windows 2.0, and Windows 1.0 was still in use when I next encountered it in about 91 or 92. At the time I worked for Reuters who had written a Reuter trader terminal client that ran on Win 1.0. The machines we were using it on were I recall IBM ATs, on which Win 1.0 really flew! Having been written for the 8088 it was much quicker loading and doing its stuff on the 286 processor as you would expect. Certainly much more responsive than the Win 2.0 we were using and developing on.

?? 2.0 came in two versions (for 286 or 386). I guess i could believe you were still using an Ibm AT in 1991, but windows 1 to program in C better than 2 286? Are you sure you remember correctly? why use either 1 or 2 what benefit to even have windows at all?

desqview won a 1989 patent court case proving it was the first multitasking environment for the PC. In what way is it a clone of TopView?http://vintagecomputer.net/cisc367/Byte_DESQview_FirstMultiTaskingSystem.pdf

The patent has nothing to do with Desq being an early multitasking solution but instead the method of how Desqview patched other applications to intercept their writes in methods that were normally multitasking unfriendly. The official Quarterdeck term was "loaders" which I referred to previously. It was a brilliant technique. IBM would not implement it since IBM was expecting programs to be rewritten in accordance with IBM's newest whims. MS would have been sued into oblivion had they tried patching competitors code to run inside WinOldAp.

Yes, Desqview was a Topview clone. The programming API is much the same and the Desqview API references I have refer back to Topview API references for additional information. Desqview's menu UI in an extension of the Topview popup menu design. The preceding Desq product was different but there is very little information about Desq available.

Back