• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Some questions about the Xi 8088….

Vlodek_d

Good day !
First, I'm showing off a little: I finally assembled Kh8088, which had been working for a long time, into a case. For some reason, I love 19" cases)))
In the photo: Xi8088 by skiselev, CGA Redux by hkzlab, OPL2 and FDC by skiselev, VCF XT-IDE Rev 2 and ISA Backplane by Alexandru Groza.
However, there were not enough free slots to add a network card and and EMS card. I will have to do a little more metalwork to move the COM2 and CF card to a separate panel and free up two slots. But that is an optional option.
But there were several shortcomings that I (perhaps) did not pay attention to earlier, or they did not appear earlier.
1) During a "cold" start, the Xi8088 "hangs" at POST 08h for 20 to 40 seconds. Then it boots normally and during "hot" restarts this problem does not occur. I already found information about this problem in other discussions. There, as a reason, they indicated the need to use 82c59 of specific manufacturers, namely AMD. Unfortunately, I only have a Toshiba 82c59 at the moment. I have already ordered several sets of different 82c59, even including the ex-USSR KR1810ВН59А - so I will experiment. But maybe someone has already found other ways to solve this problem.
2) Periodically (quite often), 1.2 MB and 1.44 MB disk drives do not work well. That is, they work - write, read, copy from one to another. But when trying to format the diskette, the most various errors are issued. It is sometimes possible to make a system diskette by chance in one case out of ten. And then after that it is not always possible to boot from it. This is definitely not a disk drive problem or a controller problem - everything works fine on any other motherboard. Alexandru Groza wrote about the same problem with his 386SBMC project - and yes, I also faced the same problem with his 386SBMC. Alexandru Groza believes that the matter lies in the timings on the DMA. I have Xi8088 almost completely assembled on K1533 (74ALS), and maybe it is worth trying to replace Page Registers and X-Bus Transceivers with 74F? - simply, apart from the incorrect operation of disk drives, no other problems arise...
IMG_8378.jpgIMG_8379.jpgIMG_8382.jpg

At what speed does your XI8088 run? I have mine running at 12 MHz by using a 36 MHz oscillator and no problems so far.

So speed cannot be the issue. When at home, I have to look what parts I use on my XI8088.

FYI, I use a 16-bit FDC/IDE card with a CF card, 1.44 MB FDD and 1.2 MB FDD. As both the FDC and CF card only needs 8 bits, the extra 8 bits are unused.

1) During a "cold" start, the Xi8088 "hangs" at POST 08h for 20 to 40 seconds. Then it boots normally and during "hot" restarts this problem does not occur. I already found information about this problem in other discussions. There, as a reason, they indicated the need to use 82c59 of specific manufacturers, namely AMD. Unfortunately, I only have a Toshiba 82c59 at the moment. I have already ordered several sets of different 82c59, even including the ex-USSR KR1810ВН59А - so I will experiment. But maybe someone has already found other ways to solve this problem.
I don't remember the details, but I recall seeing such a long delay during boot if there was no PS/2 mouse plugged in.

I don't remember the details, but I recall seeing such a long delay during boot if there was no PS/2 mouse plugged in.
It is interesting ! I will try to check it tomorrow! It will even be funny if the PS/2 mouse turns out to be the cause!

Regarding the interrupt controller type: It appears that some CMOS PICs (82C59 vs. NMOS 8259) generate spurious interrupts when interrupt inputs are floating / not connected anywhere. This doesn't seem to be a problem with some other CMOS PICs...
The fix is pretty simple: solder pull-down resistors (4.7k - 10k will do) on the interrupt lines. A resistor array on the back side of the Xi 8088 board would be an elegant way to do that.

I fixed the issue with the long delay when the PS/2 mouse is not connected a month ago. Please download the latest BIOS.
That's great! I haven't played with my Xi8088 recently, this BIOS update will be the perfect excuse for that ;)

Regarding the interrupt controller type: It appears that some CMOS PICs (82C59 vs. NMOS 8259) generate spurious interrupts when interrupt inputs are floating / not connected anywhere. This doesn't seem to be a problem with some other CMOS PICs...
The fix is pretty simple: solder pull-down resistors (4.7k - 10k will do) on the interrupt lines. A resistor array on the back side of the Xi 8088 board would be an elegant way to do that.
Fixed everything! There are no more loading delays. Both floppy disk drives work normally.
Thank you very much, @sergey, for your projects. I have already repeated many of them, I had great pleasure.
It's like being in a student dormitory again 35 years ago)

Back