• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Something new has been added!

Rick Ethridge

Veteran Member
I opened up my Coco 3 to see if the CPU was socketed. Something unexpected caught my eyes. A cloud9 512 simm unit was installed! How can I test for proper operation? Two 256k simms are installed. Could larger simms work? I'm impressed!!!

I have a double drive 3.5in floppy unit in the pipeline with mouse. I plan on ordering the RGB cable soon. I received the latest iteration deluxe joystick with the high-rez adapter ordered and waiting.

Can somebody tell me how to create a NitOS9 disk and multivue disk? Your assistance appreciated!

As for the 512KB testing, the funniest way is dumping the Donkey Kong Remixed and playing it :). AFAIK no bigger SIMMs are allowed.

I haven't dumped any CoCo3 images since a long time but IIRC, using SamDisk in a >=Windows XP machine works great

Btw, nice treasure you find ;-)

Can somebody tell me how to create a NitOS9 disk and multivue disk? Your assistance appreciated!

The old way (still valid today if you have the proper hardware) was/is to create the actual disks out of images using an Intel based PC (MSDOS/Win) hosting a true 5.25" DSDD drive on it, there are many utilities to do so.

The modern easiest way is to make use of the CoCo SDC - a hardware disk-emulator that can mount DSK images out of an SDC card and use those images pretty much like a real drive (OS9 included). If you use the SDC with a Multi Pak Interface, you could have both the SDC and a real floppy drive system, and with such a setup any DSK image found on the web archives can be put on a real floppy with not much of an effort; likewise you could make DSK images out of any floppy mounted on the real drive.

There's also getting the real disks from someone who might have the floppy setup you mention. 3.5" drives were/are not as popular as the plain vanilla 5.25" for the CoCo.

More on the CoCo SDC -> https://sites.google.com/site/thezippsterzone/coco-sdc-pages/coco-sdc

-- RP

Back