• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sony VAIO PCV-W600G AIO desktop recovery

Airxx

Greetings! I'm looking for anyone who might have one of these beasts and has a copy of the Recovery discs with drivers. I've tried some clean installs of Windows 98SE and ME with no luck getting them to recognize much of the hardware. My internet searches for drivers has yielded a little love, but still no sound, networking, and a few "unknown" devices I assume are the TV tuners. A couple of sites known for scams offer up drivers, but that has been it as Sony no longer supports their PCs.

The original COA is for WinXP Home, so there is a chance that no drivers exist for any earlier OS. That said, I've found no XP drivers at all specific to the Sony, and only some generic drivers that might work if I'm pressed. Internet Archive was devoid of help, though I'm considering trying one of Sony's other Recovery discs from an earlier AIO that has XP and the drivers.

This is just a shot in the dark hoping someone in here may have one. I do still have options, but none of them pretty. These are pretty rare birds in the wild so I'm trying to save this one and get it running. I can say they are absolutely rubbish to upgrade or access the guts. I certainly understand why they sold poorly based on my own experiences. Still, it does look nice and is a quirky oddball for the collection. Thanks in advance.

edit: Apologies also if this should go down in the "Off Topic" area. I realize 19 years old is not exactly vintage, but in computer age it might just as well be as it is harder to come by stuff for this PC than many twice as old computers. And I figure that all the vintage PCs are saved/collected by people who also save and collect other PCs they might have used over the years. Men/women do not live these days on Amigas alone...

Last edited:
All I can say is "ask and wait".
Even for my two Vaios it took nearly a decade before recovery CD's popped up on the Internet Archive, but there seems to be more and more recovery media appearing on there every day.
I'd say double check the model. Sony has a nasty habit of having the model on the front and on the rear badge and being completely different.

Yeah, that was the vibe I got from my searches. An unpopular PC maker with an even more unpopular PC model. Mine is the Sony Vaio PCV-W600G PCV-9901 version. Feels like a Chevy Suburban with a 3 cylinder engine. I think it basically is a laptop board stuffed inside a desktop AIO case. Hopefully the recovery disk from another model will get me at least some of the drivers.

Product Recovery CD's were/are hard to host online. They're full disc images, there's multiple images in a set so its several gigabytes in space and bandwidth which the free file hosters don't like and most forums will veer away from both suggesting, linking or hosting them (technically that includes here *nudge nudge*). Most OEM's you can get away without the recovery discs because it's shovelware and drivers but Sony's are famously bad. Lots of Sony OEM software (which is still kinda shovelware, but at least it looks nice) that you can only get patches for from their downloads page and drivers for things like nonstandard resolution LCD's, jogdials and driver components that simply never existed on Sony's website because it expected you to have the discs. Internet Archive has really changed the game for locating product recovery CD's in the last few years so just keep watching.

Back