• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sound and modem drivers

NeXT

Veteran Member
I am in the midst of building a 486 box running Windows 95 and have run into a driver snag.

I need the drivers for a Sound Blaster AWE64 (CT4520) sound card as well as for a US Robotics Sportster 0484 internal modem.
While both drivers can be found on driverguide (almost every link points to there), I can't use the links because Driverguide decided to start limiting how many drivers I can download and I am not upgrading to a premium account for just two drivers. Does anyone else have them handy?

I've always been a USR fan. I like their instruction set and the writable NVRAM registers. Check out the S registers - you'll like em! The Sportster 0484, if I'm not mistaken, is not a winmodem so it doesn't need a driver. You can talk directly to it from the command line.

I've always been a USR fan. I like their instruction set and the writable NVRAM registers. Check out the S registers - you'll like em! The Sportster 0484, if I'm not mistaken, is not a winmodem so it doesn't need a driver. You can talk directly to it from the command line.
I knew that from when it was in an old 3.1 box but for 95 and the programs I'm going to use it with windows HAS to have a driver for it loaded on boot or else those programs mentioned above will wither not work properly if at all (Thanks FaxWorks, you made my life hader).
As for the sound card I checked the Creative website and crossed my fingers and found everything BUT the Win95 drivers.

> "... for 95 and the programs I'm going to use it with windows HAS to have a driver ..."

Oh well, I guess I'm showing my ignorance! I must admit, the only MS-Win that I've used is 3.1 and that spooked me so bad I went back to DOS. So, I'm not only ignorant - I'm wierd. :)

Anyway, you'll probably still want to fool with the S-registers at some time. S-11 changes the dialing speed. On a modern phone system you can dial very much faster that the default modem settings. I personally get impatient waiting for the modem to finish dialing when I know that it's a totally artificial speed setting. S-11 is probably set for 70 or some such and it should easily go 10 or less.

Back