• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ssm vb1b sn 1133

Craig, I did find Herb's site where he discussed the SSM products and his documentation page only listed the SSM VB1B card. I did not Email Herb just read the information he noted about conversations with the SSM developers/engineers.
>>> Charles
I am sending Herb an email for something else today, so I will ask about this manual also.

Thank you @Dawsoca. I have one of these PCBs as well but haven't done anything with it as yet. Did you figure out the purpose of the triangular "indicator" tape applied to the back? Also, how did you go about populating the MCM6571A (from the fuzzy photo it looks like you must have had one on-hand ...)? Finally, can you share a higher-resolution photo of your populated board?
Hello, this was the info that was on Anchor Electronics web page when they were selling the card-

Message from Anchor Electronics at purchase...
SSM VB-1Video Interface $11.95
Found a handful of these 1976 collector’s items. These were likely rejects originally – some areas have been marked with tape. Sorry, no data is available from us…

Upon receipt, the board had a film like clear over spray on some parts of the board but no defects that I could see...even the taped area looked okay. After cleaning the board lightly with metal polish and then alcohol, the board looked very good and was populated with components.

Once the right parts were installed, the board seems to display text and block characters but I have not spent time to write code to access the page memory on the card and test it fully...there may still be problems.

The character generator ROM was purchased from a parts surplus site but can still be purchased from Ebay for about $18.00-$19.00 (not chinese sites!).

>>> Charles

Attachments

• SSMVB1_F.jpg
    SSMVB1_F.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 7
  • SSMVB1_B.jpg
    SSMVB1_B.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 7
  • card1.jpg
    card1.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 7
  • display.jpg
    display.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 6
Hello, this was the info that was on Anchor Electronics web page when they were selling the card-

Message from Anchor Electronics at purchase...
SSM VB-1Video Interface $11.95
Found a handful of these 1976 collector’s items. These were likely rejects originally – some areas have been marked with tape. Sorry, no data is available from us…

Upon receipt, the board had a film like clear over spray on some parts of the board but no defects that I could see...even the taped area looked okay. After cleaning the board lightly with metal polish and then alcohol, the board looked very good and was populated with components.

Once the right parts were installed, the board seems to display text and block characters but I have not spent time to write code to access the page memory on the card and test it fully...there may still be problems.

The character generator ROM was purchased from a parts surplus site but can still be purchased from Ebay for about $18.00-$19.00 (not chinese sites!).

>>> Charles
There are two quick tests you can perform without special software---
1) write to the video memory and see if you can read the same value back out.
2) fill the video memory with an ascii character. e.g., 0x31 and the whole screen should fill with 1. if in character mode, write 0xB1 and it should be ones in reverse video. or in graphics mode it will show the corresponding graphics when the MSBit = 1.

Back