• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ST-225/NEC5126 Question

jodyspencer

I assume this is the right forum for this question.. I have A SIDER II hard drive for an Apple II type computer.. and It originally had a NEC5126 drive in it but has gone bad,, The ST-225 has the same head and Cylinders(4heads & 615 cylinders) can I substitute it for the NEC?

Thanks in advance...

Mike

Last edited:
I assume this is the right forum for this question..
I suspect that a moderator will move it.

I have A SIDER II hard drive for an Apple II type computer.. and It originally had a NEC5126 drive in it but has gone bad,, The ST-225 has the same head and Cylinders(4heads & 615 cylinders) can I substitute it for the NEC?
Some differences:

Write Precompensation Cylinder (WPC)

D5126: WPC = None (a different info source indicates 128)
ST-225: WPC = 300

In my opinion, WPC can be ignored in a hobby environment.

Power

D5126: "Power Dissipation (Read/write/seek) = 20 watts"
ST-225: "TYPICAL (watts) ______ 14.8 MAXIMUM (watts) ______ 33"

What is omitted in the D5126 quote above is 'maximum' power (which typically, in a hard drive, occurs at startup [power first applied]).
Without additional information, I think maximum power consumption will be close enough not to worry about.

Other

There is a thread at [here] that includes a post about replacing the drive in a Sider with an ST-225.

Great Thanks for the Info.. The reason I posted Here As The ST-225 is usually associated with early IBM's I needed The Expertise of Early IBM collectors.. Thanks ..

Back