• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Starting on Coco 3 system purchase.

pski

Staff member
Buys the floppy controller before the computer. That's a confident collector! Good luck!

One of these days I'm going to start playing with my coco 3 and os9. One of these days...

Druid6900

Veteran Member
The big problem with the CoCo3 is the TCC1014A (or GIME) chip, as I am finding out.

While it might have been a cost saver for Tandy, being a custom chip, it is, of course, no longer obtainable except from the carcass of one that died from a different cause.

Now, if someone could work out the internals and replicate it in a more modern pin compatible programmable package, a lot of CoCo3 could be brought back to life.

TRS-Ian

Veteran Member
Not so much a problem with the chip but oxidation of its many legs within the socket. I've only ever seen one CC3 with a dead GIME chip, though I do get CC3s come through my workshops every couple of years and all I need to do is prize out the Gime, clean its legs with rubbing alcohol and re-inset, the computer fires up and works fine.

A heat sink on the Gime chip might help, and some CC3s have it and some don't.

Druid6900

Veteran Member
Do the GIME chips have a substantial failure rate?

They do if the owner does the usual CoCo3 stuff, like, insert or withdraw a cartridge with the power on.

In the CoCo1 and 2, this meant replacing a 6821, maybe a couple of buffer IC, both still available.

However, on a CoCo3, the GIME chip seems to act as a fuse. While they were available, a quick, easy fix, but, now it's a transplant.

Rick Ethridge

Veteran Member
I put in an order for the computer for $160. No game carts. No joysticks. No mouse. Soon to come video cable for Amiga 1080 monitor, floppy drives, Nitros9, additional memory and 6309 CPU. Comments on programs for same?

jltursan

Veteran Member
A heat sink on the Gime chip might help, and some CC3s have it and some don't.

Does it overheats?, never check it. If so I agree that a heat sink could be a good idea.
My CC3 has an old-fashioned 512KB memory PCB and the bunch of 41256s are really hot inside.

Broonale

$160? Ouch. How is it cosmetically? I am curious to try one out. The Z80 stuff is getting all my attention for now though.