• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Storage Solution for PS/2 Model 70

onesimus

Experienced Member
Hello, I am just starting my collection of vintage computers and bought a PS/2 model 70. At first, I was expecting there to be ISA slots but to my great disappointment I found out that there are only proprietary MCA slots in this model and it came with no HDD. Fortunately, the floppy drive and everything else works, though. It seems that I need to find an ESDI hard drive, but the only ones I have seen are outrageously expensive and from googling around, there doesn't seem to be many other solutions besides getting an MCA SCSI adapter, which will involve both buying the card and the drive. At this point, this seems to be the most logical solution.

I am wondering, however, if there have been any breakthroughs in the last couple of years regarding an ESDI to SD/CF, ESDI to SATA, or ESDI to IDE solution or anything to that effect. I haven't been able to find anything, but at the same time many of the posts I have seen are old. Haven't seen any ESDI drives for sale on the forum either.

If anyone knows of some sort of solution, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Luckily, I have a 5150 on the way as well, which I think I will like much better because of the better expandability and just general experience.

Welcome to the forum @onesimus !

Yes, MCA SCSI controllers are an option, but they are getting expensive. Another solution was just recently announced, which is this MCA IDE card:

That would allow the use of either an IDE HDD, a CF to SD-to-IDE adapter, or an SATA HDD/SSD with a SATA-to-IDE adapter.

- Alex

Welcome to the forum @onesimus !

Yes, MCA SCSI controllers are an option, but they are getting expensive. Another solution was just recently announced, which is this MCA IDE card:

That would allow the use of either an IDE HDD, a CF to SD-to-IDE adapter, or an SATA HDD/SSD with a SATA-to-IDE adapter.

- Alex

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks! Hopefully I can get it soon. I would go SCSI to keep to the somewhat vintage concept but buying the SCSI drive + card is out of my current price range right now and IDE drives are much more abundant.

I have come to the conclusion that I hate a lot of things about the PS/2, mostly MCA and all the proprietary stuff in it. If only there were just one ISA slot! Don't get me wrong, I love my vintage computers and each one is special, but this one just has a couple of glaring bad qualities.

Thanks again though, Alex!

EDIT:
Just in case anyone else sees this thread, would something like this work?

it says it's an "SD to IDE Adapter" but it fits in an MCA slot. Is the MCA slot unused and just for placement? Or does it see either an SD card or IDE drive from the MCA slot? If that's so, wouldn't this also serve the purpose as well for what I'm needing?

Last edited:
That's just an adapter that holds an IDE-to-SD adapter. It still needs an IDE controller to attach to, in this case the McIDE.

- Alex

Just wanted to update this thread after receiving the MC-IDE. It's awesome, pretty easy to set up, and is cooperating with my IDE-SD adapter. All you need is the descriptor file on the website and the reference disk for your model of PS/2. An extremely helpful product with a very helpful guy who made it. This was a product that was sorely needed in the PS/2 sector and I'm very glad to have been part of the launch. I was unable to even use my PS/2 prior to this, now I have it up and running.

What a life-saver.

Back