• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Struggling with one diagnostic in XXDP 2.2

Activmaker

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I am struggling with one diagnostic . I am using XXDP 2.2 and I run ZRLID0 . Diagnostic stop with

ILL INTER 104
PC 000000 PS 000405

What I know :
-This error occurs at test 15 in ZRLID0. I used flags TESTS:15 to be sure.
-Other diag before ZRLI has been passed .
-All cpu diag has been passed .

In the documentation this error should indicate that a Trap at vector 104 has been raised, but
-Data at Address 104 on bus never read during test.
-what about PC 000000 ? ..I suspect a Red stack overflow ..But not sure.

If somebody can help on this case , I will be very happy !
Thanks.

This sounds like a Line Time Clock interrupt (vector 100). Some of these diagnostics expect the LTC to be disabled prior to running the test. How to do that depends on which model of PDP-11 you are using. For the PDP-11/03 and PDP-11/23 there is a switch on the front panel. In some other cases it is controlled through bit 6 of the register at 777546.

There are no mentions of neeting to turn off the clock before ZRLID? in the documentation. But that don't neccesarily mean anything.
What CPU are you running the diagnostics on?

Also, 2.2 is not exactly the latest. Any reason why not running 2.5?

Some of these diagnostics expect the LTC to be disabled prior to running the test.
I don't think so. ZRLID use it to make measurement of seek time . For information ZKWA (LTC diag) has been passed too.

What CPU are you running the diagnostics on?
11/45 + RL 11 (No FPU, no MMU)
Any reason why not running 2.5?
Yes 2.5 enter in infinite loop.

Important things : it is not a real 11/45 and rl11 , it is emulated boards. Using debug info , I know that the test crash just after this first seek in test 15.
ZRLID make seek , ZRLID wait 20 ms , ZRLID request a get status by writing CSR ...And crash . Error raise before a read of DAR .
The problem is I am not able to identify the cause of crash.
I didn't find any string definition of "ILL INTER" in source code of ZRLID. Looks like that it is an error coming from XXDP monitor , but I am not sure about that.
What should I understand with this kind of error message ?

I don't think so. ZRLID use it to make measurement of seek time . For information ZKWA (LTC diag) has been passed too.

11/45 + RL 11 (No FPU, no MMU)
Yes 2.5 enter in infinite loop.

Important things : it is not a real 11/45 and rl11 , it is emulated boards. Using debug info , I know that the test crash just after this first seek in test 15.
ZRLID make seek , ZRLID wait 20 ms , ZRLID request a get status by writing CSR ...And crash . Error raise before a read of DAR .
The problem is I am not able to identify the cause of crash.
I didn't find any string definition of "ILL INTER" in source code of ZRLID. Looks like that it is an error coming from XXDP monitor , but I am not sure about that.
What should I understand with this kind of error message ?

Hum... This might become ugly...

ILL INTER certainly sounds like illegal interrupt. One concern here is that ZRLI?? is one of those fancy "modern" diagnostics programs, which uses the diagnostics supervisor. It might expect that you have plenty of memory, and maybe even an MMU. There is a XXDP small monitor, which were more targeted for small machines, but I don't think diagnostics using the DS even worked under that monitor.

And lots of diagnostics are rather particular in that they might fail in all kind of strange ways if you are not perfect in your emulation of the CPU. So the problems here might be all over the place.
Afraid it's going to be hard to really help. You need to try and examine what is going on internally in more detail...

Back