• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Successful IBM PS/2 floppy Repair (CAPS)?

Hal9000

Experienced Member
I was wondering if anyone on here fixes or has fixed a number of PS/2 floppy drives? I am looking for more of bad caps replacement then just standard cleaning (Model 50Z and Model 80).. Are they difficult to disassemble? I see a number of small caps that are close together. I suspect those are the main problem. I have been looking for PS/2 floppy caps replacement vids on youtube but haven't found one yet.
With my personal time quite limited, I would not mind sending these out to a board member to have repaired for me. I'll just need whatever reasonable time and materials info.

Thanks

OK Thank You!
I have found a member who fixes these for a reasonable sum. I would do it myself, but not enough free time. And to just "Buy One" on Ebay is insanity..LOL.

Well, "back in the day" one of our "MCA Mafia" members kindly detailed re-capping the 1.44MB Floppy Drive:
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/floppy/FD_144_01.html

We're still active, those of us that are still alive and kicking.

A set of watchmaker's screwdrivers come in handy, but disassembly shouldn't be too onerous.

"Naow warries mayte" (quoth he is a fake Aussie accent). Buying one on eBuy risks the same failure in a 20+ year old drive. ;)

I've been recapping them for folks -- looks like Hal9000 is going to send me his!

PSA: if you do have PS/2 floppy drives that haven't been recapped, even if they're still working or mostly working, do it before it's too late. I've been starting to see permanent, unfixable damage from electrolyte leakage destroying the motor control board. Even if you don't fix them right away, at least remove the leaking capacitors and clean up the mess!

Also, we've found that the bipolar electrolytic caps on some of the Alps drives can be replaced with 1206 size 4.7 uF MLCC surface mount capacitors. A much better choice than a bipolar electrolytic!

I fixed a couple of them for my systems by recapping, same with a HD circuit board for an IBM PS/2.

Yeah, I've heard some of the PS/2 planar hard disks are having cap issues, too. I haven't personally encountered any -- all of the PS/2 hard disks I've had to deal with were definitely mechanically crashed.

Yeah, I hope mine are not too bad off we'll see. I may also send out my working ones for Preventative Maintenance (PM)...Some fresh caps, clean and grease.

Back