• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

suggestions for best TV for Sinclair 1000

billdeg

Technician
Anyone have suggestions for a TV model for use with Sinclair 1000? I have a small TV that allows me to see the prompt, but not very well. I understand that there is a black scan issue of some sort and that's why new TV's don't work very well. It must be possible to have a sharp, clear picture of their Sinclair 1000 display...right? Do I have to get a vintage tv too?
BD

Anyone have suggestions for a TV model for use with Sinclair 1000? I have a small TV that allows me to see the prompt, but not very well. I understand that there is a black scan issue of some sort and that's why new TV's don't work very well. It must be possible to have a sharp, clear picture of their Sinclair 1000 display...right? Do I have to get a vintage tv too?
BD

Hmmm....My ZX81 is quite clear on my old Phillips TV. About 1994 vintage I think.

Is it a matter of the screen being larger than what your TV can display, or does it not sync properly? For the first, perhaps you can adjust something on the TV to shrink the displayed area somewhat. How new is your TV, is it a CRT, LCD or other? Do other vintage computers with antenna/RF output work well?

By the way, Timex Sinclair and Texas Instruments are not the same thing, although I see your way of thinking when you chose the forum category. ;-)

BD

I had the same issue with my Timex Sinclair 1000 several years back. I used it on a Sony Trinitron from the late 1990s. It gave a very "faint" picture. I found tweaking the levels (contrast, color, black level, etc.) helped with the picture quality to the point where it came out like it was supposed to. This obviously affected regular viewing using other stuff, but it was easy enough to adjust everything back.

Also like you, when I raised the issue on the Web, I had assumed it was endemic to the system. Apparently it's not and varies based on the unit. I've gotten other systems in the line like the TS 1500 and ZX81 that have not had the same issue (though issues of their own). Even the Timex Sinclair 2068 has a very dirty RF (and even monitor) output. Pity, because that combined with the oddball keyboards and key commands make them less useful as casual usage systems...

you said it!

I have a zx-81 and a Timex 1000. I sometimes mix and match them unintentionally.

I want to give these a fair test, I guess the particular little TV's I had been using were not suitable.

bd

Usually, adjusting the slugs in the RF modulator will greatly affect the quality of the video output and sound.

Use a non-metallic adjustment tool and turn them a slight bit at a time

Back