• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Taking first strep in to DEC OS8 and PDP8. general question

Haemogoblin

Experienced Member
Whats the best approach as a complete newcomer for getting in to these machines? I've been farting around with OS8 for a little while and avoiding the front panel switches all together. Doing the usual thing of playing adventure so such but I'd like to do a little more. Did the PDP8 ever had any word processing software written for it?

Aside from restoring and building, what do you guys use your PDP machines for?

Cool, how would I go about installing WPS?

I confess i'm not actually running a real PDP8, but a replica PiDP8i. I've found it really challenging to get my teeth in to this system. Maybe because it predates me by 20 years and my idea of a computer is a Spectrum / C64. OS8 feels familiar, its like a cross between using DOS and my TRS80 M100.

Its unlikely i'll learn Fortran anytime soon and be programming on it, but i'd still like to become familiar and have some fun :)

Out of curiosity what do people use their PDP systems for? Wondering what draws others to these machines. :)

I have an 8/e and maintain an 8/I and a PDP-12 for the RICM. I like the challenge of learning about, repairing, and demonstrating these systems. I mostly use my 8/e for archiving DECtapes and floppies that belong to other enthusiasts. The 8/I and a PDP-12 get run just about every Saturday so people can experience computing as it was 45 years ago. The younger visitors to the RICM like playing Spacewar on the PDP-12.

I have a PDP8E that I rescued from the dumpster. I spent a couple of years bringing it back to life and the rest of the time keeping it living. Seems to suffer failures on a regular basis. I've enjoyed configuring this machine for a Teletype ASR33 (which was also rescued), connection to a Raspberry PI RK05 disk emulator (thanks Kyle Owen) and the making OS/8 work. I'd like to have a real RK05, but am not sure I could find one or keep it working if I did. My goal is to relearn Fortran IV, a program that I used in the 1960's. I enjoy making control systems. I'd like to make a position control system for my telescope and I'm currently very interested in World War II cryptology. I'd like to see if my 8 bit computer could de-code something similar to what was used by the Germans long ago. Mike

It's alright, we all get it ;-)

Thanks everyone who responded. I'm very much the nuubie to this system, so still learning :)

Wasnt around when this system was in use, so a bit in the dark.

I actually enjoyed to repair my 8/L and 8a more than using them. My kids 9/11 years old like when I fire up spacewars on the 8a (and so do I).

Back